Thread: Which tripod?

Default Which tripod?

I am looking into buying a better tripod, not too expensive. (Using a cheap 1 now) Its for a normal point and shoot camera and a video camera.

Which one should i get?
    Slik sprint pro, Manfrotto 714B or 718B?

718B has a handle, more suited for a video cam? How does the 714B and sprint pro works? It is like screwing the camera as in using a mini table top tripod?

Get a tripod w/o a head. Then buy a good head for it in your prefered style, most like ballheads. Make sure the ballhead has a quick release. I am not a fan of SILK. I would get a Gitzo if you can afford it, very stable.

buying a gitzo for a P&S camera is like overkill... besides, buying head with a pan & tilt for video den need to get another ball head for P&S mean u have to spend quite a fortune...

i recommend getting cheap cheap slik, those with built in pan & tilt head, geared centre column. good enough for video & also p&s. most models come with a Quick Release plate, or you can choose 1 which comes with it.
    Logging Off. "You have 2,631 messages stored, of a total 400 allowed." don't PM me.

Quote Originally Posted by Tzuen
    Get a tripod w/o a head. Then buy a good head for it in your prefered style, most like ballheads. Make sure the ballhead has a quick release. I am not a fan of SILK. I would get a Gitzo if you can afford it, very stable.
    Gitzo! Its expensive. If the ballhead have no quick release, it is like attaching the camera as in like screwing the camera as in using a mini table top tripod?

Quote Originally Posted by Del_CtrlnoAlt
    buying a gitzo for a P&S camera is like overkill... besides, buying head with a pan & tilt for video den need to get another ball head for P&S mean u have to spend quite a fortune...

i recommend getting cheap cheap slik, those with built in pan & tilt head, geared centre column. good enough for video & also p&s. most models come with a Quick Release plate, or you can choose 1 which comes with it.
    Thats why i will prefer to buy on a pan & tilt one But how does those ball heads tripod work when attaching the camera? It is like screwing the camera as in using a mini table top tripod?
    Last edited by afbug; 9th November 2004 at 10:10 PM.

thats y u need a quick release plate, den u screw the plate onto the cam, den attach the QR to its rightful place.
    Logging Off. "You have 2,631 messages stored, of a total 400 allowed." don't PM me.

Quote Originally Posted by Del_CtrlnoAlt
    thats y u need a quick release plate, den u screw the plate onto the cam, den attach the QR to its rightful place.
    Ahhh......okie fully understooded So without the quick release plate, it is more troublesome to attach the camera to the ball head. Thanks for explaining.

Bought the Slik sprint pro with 3 way pan and quick release head today.

how much did u get urs for? the slik sprint pro.

how much was the quick release head? where can i get it from

Quote Originally Posted by ParkertR
    how much did u get urs for? the slik sprint pro.

how much was the quick release head? where can i get it from
    I got it from Cathay Photo. I bought the 3 way panhead with QR plate version. I din buy the ballhead version and add a QR plate