Thread: Bigger sensor

Deregistered

Default Bigger sensor

Hi,
    For digital camera, usually they will advertise the pixel and type of lens used.. but lately I've been reading that the sensor size does matter.. SLR perform better as they have bigger sensor..
    Why such info is not listed as the camera SPEC?

and how the sensor affects the photo or camera performance?
    Last edited by Eyesthruthelens; 9th November 2004 at 03:52 PM.

i tink its reflected as how many times how many sensors wat.... not very sure le...

Deregistered

Quote Originally Posted by Witness
    i tink its reflected as how many times how many sensors wat.... not very sure le...
    Yeah.. and bigger sensor, easier to blur the background..

For a more indepth understanding of pixel size, you can refer to this article on www.dpreview.com .

Sensor sizes

Actually some cameras actually have the sensor size written on the spec list on the back of the box. And if you understand the crop factor principles of digital sensors, you should be able to guess the sensor sizes from the value of the focal length on the wide end.

Basically, you should be able to tell that sensor size for DSLRs are a few times bigger than a typical compact camera. If they were to put that kind of sensors into a compact camera, your camera will definitely not be that compact anymore. And since it's more expensive to make bigger sensors, it wouldn't make a lot of economic sense if you try to put such a big sensors into a compact camera. The price for a compact camera will definitely have to go up.

The bigger the sensor size for the same amount of cells (pixels), by logical inference, equal bigger size for each cell. With bigger cells, the light captured by each cell will be in turn in be more. Secondary school physics taught us that the there is background radiation all around us. This background radiation is what we refer to as noise (simply put, of course there are other factors that contribute to noise too). This noise is picked up by the cells on sensor as packets of energy which distorts the signal (light packets) that the cells picked up. With a bigger cell, the noise to signal ratio dramatically decreases, and thus for a camera with a bigger size sensor usually register less noise.

Have you read our very own backyard battle?

http://clubsnap.org/forums/showthread.php?t=93236

Quote Originally Posted by Eyesthruthelens
    Hi,
    For digital camera, usually they will advertise the pixel and type of lens used.. but lately I've been reading that the sensor size does matter.. SLR perform better as they have bigger sensor..
    Why such info is not listed as the camera SPEC?

In fact, these info are listed in the camera specs.

For example, for Canon A95, the CCD type is 1/1.8" CCD.
    http://www.canon.com.sg/index.cfm?fu...rshota95_specs

The bigger the CCD, the bigger the CCD type.

1/1.8" is bigger than 1/2.5" of Ixus i5. Both are 5MP, but the sensor of A95 is bigger.

Default technically speaking...

Talking about larger sensor size leading to larger individual pixel sensors, in this train of thought that means that fuji's SuperCCD is actually implementing larger pixel size sensors on the same sized CCD. Therefore SuperCCD better than conventional CCD I don't know. But I'm quite supportive of the SuperCCD format.

I've read somewhere off the net on comparison of sensor and dynamic range. Apparently, larger sensors (or larger pixel sensors) yield better dynamic range.

Also, when when printed out, larger sized sensors produce better looking pics as the magnification factor each pixel of the picture goes through is lesser (comparing with same number of pixels eg: 6mpix)
    “How fortunate for leaders that men do not think.” - Adolf Hitler