Thread: Re: Any recommendations for 85mm 1.2f type of lens for Canon 40D

Red face Re: Any recommendations for 85mm 1.2f type of lens for Canon 40D

Hi, everyone,

I am a newbie and wanted to get some feedback or advice on achieving the effect a Canon 85mm 1.2f on a Canon 40D but as I am on a budget, are there other brands that are cheaper but yet will be able to fit on my 40D and produce the same type of effect?

Hope to hear from all the experienced people soon!

Thanks!
    Chris Wang

Default Re: Any recommendations for 85mm 1.2f type of lens for Canon 40D

Quote Originally Posted by trigrr View Post
    Hi, everyone,

I am a newbie and wanted to get some feedback or advice on achieving the effect a Canon 85mm 1.2f on a Canon 40D but as I am on a budget, are there other brands that are cheaper but yet will be able to fit on my 40D and produce the same type of effect?

Thanks!
    What effect are you trying to achieve... and do you mean 85mm f1.2L? If that is the case, I doubt there is any lens that can give you exactly the same out of focus blurish effect the same as Canon's 85mm f1.2L. You can get the Sigma's 85mm f1.4 which will give you more or less the same effect.
    I am not a photographer, just someone who happened to have a couple of cameras.
    My lousy shots

Thanks for the quick advice, rhino123...yes the same beautiful effect that the Canon 85mm gives..appreciate the recommendation...do you think it is advisable to buy 2nd hand or just go ahead and invest in a brand new Sigma?
    Chris Wang

have you tried 50mm f/1.8 II?
    Fujifilm X-Pro2 Graphite, X-Pro1
    XF 14/2.8, 18/2, 23/2, 35/1.4, 56/1.2, 60/2.4, 55-200/3.5-4.8

Hi, everyone,

Thanks!
    You can try the Samyang 85mm f/1.4..

I use a Pentax system, but you can see some samples here: http://www.clubsnap.com/forums/penta...et-wonder.html

Loads of reviews of this beautiful lens on the net. Catch? Manual focus.

for shallow dof, u can check out the Canon 85mm 1.8, sigma 85mm 1.4, carl zeiss contax mount 85mm 1.4 + converter (manual focus)
    As for bokeh, every lens has its characteristic, if you want the bokeh of the canon 85mm 1.2, then you'll have to get that.

Quote Originally Posted by yrh0413 View Post
    It will not produce the same effect, I fear...

The maximum aperture is already smaller... And the focal length is shorter.. Score 2.

Of course, if all TS wants is to play with shallow DOF, then this will do.

Thanks for the quick advice, rhino123...yes the same beautiful effect that the Canon 85mm gives..appreciate the recommendation...do you think it is advisable to buy 2nd hand or just go ahead and invest in a brand new Sigma?
    To get exactly the same effect as the 85mm f1.2L is not possible... straight out from camera, at least.

If you are tat particular and bend on getting the exact image quality, I would suggest you getting the 1.2 (second hand one will do).

Of course, I think Sigma's 85mm f1.4 is good enough, a brand new one don't cost a bomb and you get nice creamy bokeh too. Or you can always PP later on.
    I am not a photographer, just someone who happened to have a couple of cameras.
    My lousy shots

Get 2nd hand, it is more value for money. Saw people trying to sell mint condition ard $1k. Grey set is ard 1.25k while new one maybe 1.4k.

Quote Originally Posted by yrh0413 View Post
    The 50L will be much closer. In fact, having used both the Sigma 85 and the 50L, the 50L is as close as it gets to the 85L.
    An artist who realizes there is a supreme force and works gladly as an apprentice under heaven.

Quote Originally Posted by rhino123 View Post
    To get exactly the same effect as the 85mm f1.2L is not possible... straight out from camera, at least.
    Agree, it is technically not possible to achieve the effect of a 85 f1.2 on full frame.

Quote Originally Posted by Kenneth67C View Post
    The 50L will be much closer. In fact, having used both the Sigma 85 and the 50L, the 50L is as close as it gets to the 85L.
    As you are on crop, you can try a 50mm f1.2 which will allow you to move closer. If you are on a tight budget, you can try shooting with a Nikon 50 f1.2 manual on your 40D.

Quote Originally Posted by An drew View Post
    As you are on crop, you can try a 50mm f1.2 which will allow you to move closer. If you are on a tight budget, you can try shooting with a Nikon 50 f1.2 manual on your 40D.
    I think you meant the TS, I'm not the one with the 40D.
    An artist who realizes there is a supreme force and works gladly as an apprentice under heaven.