Results 1 to 17 of 17

Thread: Recommendation for Italy and Paris

  1. #1
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    3,716

    Default Recommendation for Italy and Paris

    Hi Guys,

    I will be going on a honeymoon to Italy and Paris and would like to know if there's any recommendation on what to do/eat/shoot etc?

    I will spend more time in Rome and PAris as it's free & easy, for other parts of italy, i will follow a tour to sites in Rome, Venice, Florence, Assissi etc...

  2. #2

    Default

    I went to Paris in March 2000 but did not go Italy. The trees and plants are quite bare in when I went and will only bloom in April. Thus I did not see the famous gardens of Chateau de Versailles as there was only beds of soil and bare trees.

    To shoot the Eiffel Tower, cross the river and shoot from the other side. This is where the shots were there is a foreground of statues, fountains.

    If you are interested, there is an unofficial memorial for Princess Diana at Pont De L'Alma. The tunnel below is the crash site.The Ritz Hotel is at Place Vendome, where there are several famous jewellery shops there.

    Bring some 10F coins when you visit the Triumph Arch as there might souvenir coins from a vending machine. The coins seem to vary year by year, as a friend who went a year before had a different coin.

  3. #3

    Default

    hey, i know u r a liverpool fan right? why not go anfield???

  4. #4
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    3,716

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by kop
    hey, i know u r a liverpool fan right? why not go anfield???

    Haha... honeymoon goes anfield,my wife will murder me!!

    I will definitely want to go anfield before we shift to Stanley park in 2006. I heard the Liverpool supporters club is going this year!

  5. #5
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    3,716

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by CY_OH
    I went to Paris in March 2000 but did not go Italy. The trees and plants are quite bare in when I went and will only bloom in April. Thus I did not see the famous gardens of Chateau de Versailles as there was only beds of soil and bare trees.

    To shoot the Eiffel Tower, cross the river and shoot from the other side. This is where the shots were there is a foreground of statues, fountains.

    If you are interested, there is an unofficial memorial for Princess Diana at Pont De L'Alma. The tunnel below is the crash site.The Ritz Hotel is at Place Vendome, where there are several famous jewellery shops there.

    Bring some 10F coins when you visit the Triumph Arch as there might souvenir coins from a vending machine. The coins seem to vary year by year, as a friend who went a year before had a different coin.
    Ya... MArch is just after winter so not so nice, best time is prob from May-Sep.

    The eiffel tower shot u mentioned, i knew it quite well as i wnet paris a couple of times before. Also, the crash site, i have been there before the accident so i knew where it is, i think there's a statue of liberty flame there at the entrance.

    As for the 10F coins ... i didn't know abt it and will prob try it. Thanks Buddy!

  6. #6

    Default

    I remb... the the Arc Du Champ is under some renovation last year.. donno ready or not..

    Paris is a very nice place... but explore out of Paris! more suprises.. the chruches there are nicer... and much quieter.. easier to shoot..

  7. #7

    Default

    Ehhh..
    Anyone know how much does a cheap meal cost in paris? Going backpacking there.

  8. #8
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Location
    I'm a Llama!
    Posts
    4,751

    Default

    When in Paris, do not miss out on the opportunity to visit one of the Laduree pastry shops. The one at rue Bonaparte features an empire style interior, really ornate and beautiful. The macaroons and eclairs are to die for...

    http://www.laduree.fr/boutique_va.htm

  9. #9

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by nemesis32
    Hi Guys,

    I will be going on a honeymoon to Italy and Paris and would like to know if there's any recommendation on what to do/eat/shoot etc?

    I will spend more time in Rome and PAris as it's free & easy, for other parts of italy, i will follow a tour to sites in Rome, Venice, Florence, Assissi etc...
    If you are in Rome for a week, buy a weekly ticket for their city public transport system. It's good value and you can reach a lot on their metro/tram/bus network covered by the ticket.

    Rome's a 'fun' place. Absolutely crazy place, but some how still friendly. Found Paris pretty but the people were not as nice.

    Italy is easy to get around, their railways are pretty fast and frequent and you don't need to know Italian to buy a ticket - all the major stations have multilingual vending machines that are hooked up to the same reservations network as the terminals used by the staff. Unless you are doing something really odd, the vending machines will supply what you need.
    Many Italians can comminicate in at least broken english, although they are much amused and friendlier if you try Italian first :-)

    Just remeber to 'validate' your train ticket before getting on a train. (Little 'boxes' on the platforms stamp the date on the ticket). It's a large fine if you get caught, and you don't want to get into an argument with an ticket inspector who may decide they don't know any English just to make life hard for you :-)

    Many of the Italian railways staff were wearing name badges that also indicated what languages they spoke.

    Italy has a lot of history. There's a lifetime worth of stuff to look at.

  10. #10

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by AReality
    Ehhh..
    Anyone know how much does a cheap meal cost in paris? Going backpacking there.
    meals are not cheap in Europe.. lol.. a decent only cost about 10euros
    bread (those delifrance kind) is cheapest.. maybe about 1 - 2 euros for 1 stick..
    and they buy mineral water to drink. no one drinks from the tap.. but they are darn cheap... and wine too... very cheap.. (europe standard)

  11. #11
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    3,716

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by matthew
    If you are in Rome for a week, buy a weekly ticket for their city public transport system. It's good value and you can reach a lot on their metro/tram/bus network covered by the ticket.

    Rome's a 'fun' place. Absolutely crazy place, but some how still friendly. Found Paris pretty but the people were not as nice.

    Italy is easy to get around, their railways are pretty fast and frequent and you don't need to know Italian to buy a ticket - all the major stations have multilingual vending machines that are hooked up to the same reservations network as the terminals used by the staff. Unless you are doing something really odd, the vending machines will supply what you need.
    Many Italians can comminicate in at least broken english, although they are much amused and friendlier if you try Italian first :-)

    Just remeber to 'validate' your train ticket before getting on a train. (Little 'boxes' on the platforms stamp the date on the ticket). It's a large fine if you get caught, and you don't want to get into an argument with an ticket inspector who may decide they don't know any English just to make life hard for you :-)

    Many of the Italian railways staff were wearing name badges that also indicated what languages they spoke.

    Italy has a lot of history. There's a lifetime worth of stuff to look at.
    Any suggestion on where to stay? Near Spanish steps or colosseum? etc

  12. #12
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    JB, SG
    Posts
    3,483

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by nemesis32
    Haha... honeymoon goes anfield,my wife will murder me!!

    I will definitely want to go anfield before we shift to Stanley park in 2006. I heard the Liverpool supporters club is going this year!
    hi nemesis32,

    nothing about italy nor paris...but anfield.

    I am still in contact with Liverpool supportes Club (malaysia)....they are actually visiting Anfield each year...they meet up the coaching staff...visit the dressing room..and meet up with the players as well...

    I am also interested to visit Anfield before they move to Stanley Park..let make a trip there and cheers together..the worst if the team lost...we tear together loh....

  13. #13

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by nemesis32
    Any suggestion on where to stay? Near Spanish steps or colosseum? etc
    I stayed near the railway station when i was there June last year. I think Rome's budget hostels are quite packed during summer, so i advise you to book early.

    For all hostels in Europe, you can check out this website
    http://www.bugeurope.com/reviews/

    It's really good with the prices and address stated. The popular ones also have reviews. I was there for quite a while, so this website was really useful to me.. hope it helps.
    Last edited by ajneo; 16th November 2004 at 11:42 AM.

  14. #14

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by AReality
    Ehhh..
    Anyone know how much does a cheap meal cost in paris? Going backpacking there.
    The roasted chickens in some super markets are about 5-7 euros, can be shared by 3 persons. nice....... with bread(cheap!)

    if you are looking for tourist set meals, can try this area near the university area, can remember what's the name, but it's quite well known with alot of students. A basic set meal which includes desert, starters and main cost from 8 to 12 euros. quality meal at "reasonable" prices imho.

  15. #15

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ajneo
    The roasted chickens in some super markets are about 5-7 euros, can be shared by 3 persons. nice....... with bread(cheap!)

    if you are looking for tourist set meals, can try this area near the university area, can remember what's the name, but it's quite well known with alot of students. A basic set meal which includes desert, starters and main cost from 8 to 12 euros. quality meal at "reasonable" prices imho.
    Ahhh...
    Thanks...
    But the cheaper the better.
    On a super tight budget.
    Wanna last as long as possible, until wallet run dry.

  16. #16

    Default

    Give her a loooong, passionate kiss when you get to the top of the Eiffel Tower. This is Paris, after all - and it is your honeymoon

    Quote Originally Posted by nemesis32
    Hi Guys,

    I will be going on a honeymoon to Italy and Paris and would like to know if there's any recommendation on what to do/eat/shoot etc?

  17. #17

    Default

    If you are going italy, avoid napoli, or naples. The pasar malam and hooligan infested streets totally spoilt my good impression of italy....

    I actually do morning jogs when i was in rome, running to the vantican city and back from the centre of rome. really nice experience. oh yah, and you catch the pope every wednesday if he is in the vantican city then...

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •