Thread: Internal and External HDDs prices have insanely skyrocketed.

Default Internal and External HDDs prices have insanely skyrocketed.

Hope you guys have prepared enough data storage for the coming months it will take for hdd production to resume and then the time it takes for prices to normalize.

I have bought enough quantity of 2TB drives that i can copy my YOG raw files many times over. Hopefully its enough.

If you guys are looking for external drives still at reasonable prices, i saw this in a harvey norman catalogue.
    Last edited by Reportage; 17th November 2011 at 10:35 PM.
    You wont see me much less remember me but i am the guy who makes you look good.

Default Re: Internal and External HDDs prices have insanely skyrocketed.

My friend wanted to get a 1.5TB (3.5") ext. HDD, was quoted about $140-$160 in SLS shops.
    They said it's due to the Thai floods as exports are unavailable.

HDD supply gap to narrow as Nidec resumes some production

Japan-based hard disc drive (HDD) motor supplier Nidec, which contributes close to 75% of the global HDD motor shipments, has announced its Ayutthaya plants in Thailand have already resumed production and sources from the HDD industry believe it should help narrow down the HDD supply gap in the fourth quarter of 2011.

Since Nidec is also increasing its production capacities at plants in Philippine and China to help cover the impact from the floods, the company expects its motor capacity will be able to reach 100 million units in the fourth quarter.

Nidec currently has 10 production bases in Thailand with eight of them have been damaged by the floods. As water started to recede, Nidec announced its Rangsit plants, which stopped operation on October 13, already resumed production on October 25, while Ayutthaya plants also started operating normally on November 4.

Nidec's two plants in Philippine will also see their monthly capacity rise from 15 million units originally to 25 million units with capacity in China plants also increase from 10 million units to 15 million units. However, the total capacity in the fourth quarter will still drop close to 30% from 140 million units in the third.

Before the floods hit Thailand, Nidec's capacity proportions were 62%, 23% and 15% for plants in Thailand, Philippine and China, respectively. In the future, the production proportion of plants in Philippine and China will rise to 36% and 21%, respectively, reducing Thailand's proportion to only 43%.

Source Here
    40D|BG-E2N|24-105L F4.0 IS USM |70-200L F2.8 IS USM

Even they have old stock before the flood, they will also sell at higher price.... this chance don't happen everytime...

capitalizing on natural disasters for personal gain. very human

ok lar.. not everyone going to buy hdd within this timing also.. some of us can wait
    Canon Kiss X4 | 18-55mm f3.5-5.6 IS II Kit lens | 50mm f1.8

Quote Originally Posted by voxies09 View Post
    ok lar.. not everyone going to buy hdd within this timing also.. some of us can wait
    Yes. I'm one of them.
    1 still got 1 empty 320GB ext. HD..

Lucky bought a 2tb hdd abt 2months ago...
    Too many great equipments but too little quality photos. [My Flickr] | [My Blog]

Average price of USB 2.0 500GB was about $69 there last month. Its now hovering at the $99-$119 price range. Dont ask about USB 3.0 version.

If you are getting anything with a mechanical hdd like netbooks, media players and such...might want to wait because with current hdd prices will definitely push their prices up.
    Last edited by Reportage; 18th November 2011 at 10:02 PM.

good time for SSD to reduce price and improve market shares...

Quote Originally Posted by Deyeno View Post
    HDD supply gap to narrow as Nidec resumes some production

Japan-based hard disc drive (HDD) motor supplier Nidec, which contributes close to 75% of the global HDD motor shipments, has announced its Ayutthaya plants in Thailand have already resumed production and sources from the HDD industry believe it should help narrow down the HDD supply gap in the fourth quarter of 2011.

Since Nidec is also increasing its production capacities at plants in Philippine and China to help cover the impact from the floods, the company expects its motor capacity will be able to reach 100 million units in the fourth quarter.

Nidec currently has 10 production bases in Thailand with eight of them have been damaged by the floods. As water started to recede, Nidec announced its Rangsit plants, which stopped operation on October 13, already resumed production on October 25, while Ayutthaya plants also started operating normally on November 4.

Nidec's two plants in Philippine will also see their monthly capacity rise from 15 million units originally to 25 million units with capacity in China plants also increase from 10 million units to 15 million units. However, the total capacity in the fourth quarter will still drop close to 30% from 140 million units in the third.

Before the floods hit Thailand, Nidec's capacity proportions were 62%, 23% and 15% for plants in Thailand, Philippine and China, respectively. In the future, the production proportion of plants in Philippine and China will rise to 36% and 21%, respectively, reducing Thailand's proportion to only 43%.

[Source Here [/URL]
    i only replies to PM and nothing else..

My Seagate Barracuda 7200.11 just conk out last week and Ace Com guy told me I might need to wait a bit longer for the RMA....due to Thailand flood and part shortage....unbelievable....as if he knows how to open up and replace the broken part....normally they will just swap another unit and the problem solved

My another vendor saying the delivery of my Smart Array backup battery cache module will be delayed because of same reason....come on man...this is old model and should be ex stock....and cache module is semi conductor, the battery is lithium ion, made in Japan....none of it is made in Thailand....tell me Japan nuke polution is better excuse

And my Borneo Motor agent commented about my airbag sensor replacement.....luckily they ordered it mths back and in stock liao.....if not need to wait till next year.....wtf....want to take credit like that....it's from Japan and not Thailand bro

It seems like everybody is using Thai flood as excuse to cover up their own deficiency.....I hope my employer will not delay my next mth bonus because of Thai flood....if not I will also delay to go work because I am still in Thai
    Last edited by Big Kahuna; 22nd November 2011 at 11:52 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Big Kahuna
    My Seagate Barracuda 7200.11 just conk out last week and Ace Com guy told me I might need to wait a bit longer for the RMA....due to Thailand flood and part shortage....unbelievable....as if he knows how to open up and replace the broken part....normally they will just swap another unit and the problem solved

My another vendor saying the delivery of my Smart Array backup battery cache module will be delayed because of same reason....come on man...this is old model and should be ex stock....and cache module is semi conductor, the battery is lithium ion, made in Japan....none of it is made in Thailand....tell me Japan nuke polution is better excuse

And my Borneo Motor agent commented about my airbag sensor replacement.....luckily they ordered it mths back and in stock liao.....if not need to wait till next year.....wtf....want to take credit like that....it's from Japan and not Thailand bro

It seems like everybody is using Thai flood as excuse to cover up their own deficiency.....I hope my employer will not delay my next mth bonus because of Thai flood....if not I will also delay to go work because I am still in Thai
    In fact, a lot of things are affected due to the flood. It may be raw material, assembly, minor parts, imports through Thai. It not easy for a small front line employee to explain to a demanding customer.
    D700 - 24-70mm F2.8 ED - 105mm VR2 Micro - Samyang 14mm - 50mm 1.8D - Mb 10 - SB900 - SB400

Quote Originally Posted by Reportage View Post
    Hope you guys have prepared enough data storage for the coming months it will take for hdd production to resume and then the time it takes for prices to normalize.

I have bought enough quantity of 2TB drives that i can copy my YOG raw files many times over. Hopefully its enough.

If you guys are looking for external drives still at reasonable prices, i saw this in a harvey norman catalogue.
    Quote Originally Posted by shaoken View Post
    My friend wanted to get a 1.5TB (3.5") ext. HDD, was quoted about $140-$160 in SLS shops.
    They said it's due to the Thai floods as exports are unavailable.
    Yup, that's right as according to what I've heard from TV-News...

Well, no doubt was $$$$, but luckily no regrets as 'heng-ah' the Performance won the $$$$ over man.....(...I had change all my PCs and 1-Laptop and 1-Netbook to OCZ & Plextor SSDs ) just 2-months ago only ahhh...!!!
    Last edited by blueskye168; 23rd November 2011 at 07:24 PM.
    Anything that can take pictures...happy already lor...(..but...Hasselblad_H5D-50 as my Workhorse)

Megastores external HDD price comparison for SITEX reference.

NTUC Fairprice Xtra

Harvey Norman

GIANT

Challenger

For SLS, can refer to the various online pricelists but around $100-ish for 500GB USB 3.0 is very common.

*If you guys insist on getting external hdd from Sitex, i really suggest looking at Trek`s prices first

heng got it in time. the software not really easy to use in my opinion but as if i will be using it. A password protection feature would have been more useful.