Results 1 to 18 of 18

Thread: 1 Gb Mircodrive data just gone.....

  1. #1

    Default 1 Gb Mircodrive data just gone.....

    Hi everyone,

    I just had a preview on my camera LCD, everything looked good. When I plugged into my USB 2 reader, it read my Microdrive was unformatted!!

    I had a shock of my life when I knew I was gonna lost almost my last two months of shooting (mostly family shoots/Trip). Now trying to recover the data.. Wish me luck..
    Last edited by tokrot; 8th November 2004 at 02:34 PM.

  2. #2
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    12,938

    Default

    all the best.

    I copy pics to my PC everytime I'm back home from shooting.

  3. #3

    Default

    Wah ... wish u can recover your shots
    See my Photo Gallery at the Clubsnap

  4. #4
    Deregistered
    Join Date
    Dec 2002
    Location
    Planet Nikon
    Posts
    21,905

    Default

    I know how you feel man... I really do, especially just last week I lost 2GB of RAW images from my CF and they were wedding shots, I managed to recover most of with with only 2 corrupted shots.

    Try Image Rescue from Lexar or Rescue Pro from Sandisk.

    If all else fails, pass it to me, I'll try to recover for you.

  5. #5
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    Outside the Dry Box.
    Posts
    16,268

    Default

    tat sucks... i hope if next time i have assignment... i dun have such luck... btw the lexar image rescue works with product other than from lexar? as in i bought this 2gb CF, den inside comes with image rescue 2, can work with the IBM microdrive?
    Logging Off. "You have 2,631 messages stored, of a total 400 allowed." don't PM me.

  6. #6
    Deregistered
    Join Date
    Dec 2002
    Location
    Planet Nikon
    Posts
    21,905

    Default

    Image Rescue 2 will work with any USB reader on any card.

    Image Rescue 1 will work only with Lexar jumpshot cables and only Lexar Medias.

  7. #7
    Deregistered
    Join Date
    Dec 2002
    Location
    Planet Nikon
    Posts
    21,905

    Default

    Oh yeah, most importantly, don't write any more data to it!!

  8. #8

    Default

    Hi Guys,


    Thanks for every effort to help.. Really appreciated it! I managed to recover all my data!

    Luckily, I had this GetDataBack (FAT version) which was left idling on my previous recovery (didn't recover my previous lost data). I was surprised it worked for my Microdrive.

    ESPN: I am sorry, I didn't pass you this program becoz I have totally forgotten about its existence in My "Unused desktop folder" until just now...

    Thanks again everyone!!

  9. #9
    Deregistered
    Join Date
    Dec 2002
    Location
    Planet Nikon
    Posts
    21,905

    Default

    tokrot

    NAH!! I used all my quota of smilies just for you for this post. Heehehehe.

  10. #10

    Default

    er.... i think u forgot to format ur MD card just after u inserted it into the camera right? i had the same problem last time. managed to recover all my data too.

  11. #11

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by mervlam
    er.... i think u forgot to format ur MD card just after u inserted it into the camera right? i had the same problem last time. managed to recover all my data too.
    err... I have been using MD for more than a year. It won't work if you do not format it. My best guess of my data corruption would be I took out my MD quickly after shutting down my Cam OR it might be the USB reader which was corrupting the FAT partition on my MD.

  12. #12

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by espn
    tokrot
    NAH!! I used all my quota of smilies just for you for this post. Heehehehe.

    hehehe...

  13. #13

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by tokrot
    err... I have been using MD for more than a year. It won't work if you do not format it. My best guess of my data corruption would be I took out my MD quickly after shutting down my Cam OR it might be the USB reader which was corrupting the FAT partition on my MD.
    erm... actually i meant re-formating it...

  14. #14
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Location
    South Pole with Penguin
    Posts
    5,270

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by tokrot
    err... I have been using MD for more than a year. It won't work if you do not format it. My best guess of my data corruption would be I took out my MD quickly after shutting down my Cam OR it might be the USB reader which was corrupting the FAT partition on my MD.
    your case sounds like the FAT corrupted, sometimes even if you have turn off the camera, it may be still writing to the CF card in the background, so make sure u check the LED light and see if the writing has completed.

    for corrupted FAT, most recovery software can fix that...luckily it is not due to bad sector, which is harder to recover. And if the bad sector is at track 0, that will be worse than accidentially delete off all the pic

  15. #15

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Wai
    your case sounds like the FAT corrupted, sometimes even if you have turn off the camera, it may be still writing to the CF card in the background, so make sure u check the LED light and see if the writing has completed.

    for corrupted FAT, most recovery software can fix that...luckily it is not due to bad sector, which is harder to recover. And if the bad sector is at track 0, that will be worse than accidentially delete off all the pic
    Hi Wai,

    Would like to find out from you whether the recovery part on CF would be possible since it's different from MD and is a flash device? Does my recovery program work for CF too? What do you think?

  16. #16
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    Central West
    Posts
    1,952

    Default

    GetDataBack is actually quite good - recovers all files from the CF/Microdrive/USB Pen drive etc... The software from Lexar or Sandisk only recover images and doesn't give you back the file names. GetDataBack recovers all files and gives you the filenames as well.

  17. #17
    Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    www.whltelightphotographer.com
    Posts
    1,834

    Default

    My IBM Microdrives have the same problem. What I do is to purg the reader to another computer some time just pull out and purg back to same computer. Chances are Window XP failed to find the microdrive dir. If you can view the pictures on your camera then the pictures are still there. Just the computer failed to link up with dir. Or something like that. This the reasons why I have change to solid state card.

  18. #18
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Location
    South Pole with Penguin
    Posts
    5,270

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by tokrot
    Hi Wai,

    Would like to find out from you whether the recovery part on CF would be possible since it's different from MD and is a flash device? Does my recovery program work for CF too? What do you think?
    check with ESPN, he is the expert now

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •