Results 1 to 13 of 13

Thread: Overseas Trip, Ways to protect DSLR?

  1. #1

    Question Overseas Trip, Ways to protect DSLR?

    Hi All,
    I am going to South Korea, Seould & Jeju Island and I want to do some shooting there. I am using a Nikon D5100, which is not at all weather proof in any way. So I am just wondering is there a need to protect my DSLR. There is cold weather there. It can go as low as 0 Degrees Celcius but mainly in the afternoon around 10 Degrees Celsius to 20 Degrees Celsius.

    Thanks in Advance for any help *WINK WINK*

  2. #2

    Default Re: Overseas Trip, Ways to protect DSLR?

    1. Do a search for "Cold weather".
    2. READ THE STICKY right here called "Sticky: problems with dslr in extremely cold weather?".

    Please, at least try some BASIC SEARCHING AND LOOKING before asking a question that gets asked 20 times every year around this time!!!
    Alpha

  3. #3

    Default Re: Overseas Trip, Ways to protect DSLR?

    Quote Originally Posted by Rashkae View Post
    1. Do a search for "Cold weather".
    2. READ THE STICKY right here called "Sticky: problems with dslr in extremely cold weather?".

    Please, at least try some BASIC SEARCHING AND LOOKING before asking a question that gets asked 20 times every year around this time!!!
    Oo Sorry. New to this forum ._.

  4. #4

    Default Re: Overseas Trip, Ways to protect DSLR?

    dont worry.. it will work !!
    many have asked n post before you..do a search. you will get more information..

  5. #5

    Default Re: Overseas Trip, Ways to protect DSLR?

    Don't need to worry so much.
    Use as it is.
    Just bring a spare battery or two. They deplete faster in the cold.

  6. #6

    Default Re: Overseas Trip, Ways to protect DSLR?

    Check your manual to find out the operating temperature for your camera. I worry more for snow or rain hitting my lens and camera when shooting, rather than cold temperature.
    D200

  7. #7

    Default Re: Overseas Trip, Ways to protect DSLR?

    Hi,

    I have been using my D5000 to Hokkaido during winter, several times, with some places as cold as -20C, but my cam still survive. The only thing is the battery gone flat pretty fast, remember to bring spare battery and have them fully charge before you go for shooting every day.

  8. #8
    Moderator Octarine's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Pasir Ris
    Posts
    12,394

    Default Re: Overseas Trip, Ways to protect DSLR?

    Quote Originally Posted by LinMingXuan View Post
    Oo Sorry. New to this forum ._.
    Especially in this case it's dead save to assume that your question has been asked already and many answers are there
    Worry more about yourself and proper clothing, shoes. Your camera has been designed in a country that has plenty of cold Winter days. Do you think Nikon would bring something to market that would fail already in the normal weather of the home country? Unlikely, right?
    Last edited by Octarine; 16th November 2011 at 03:16 PM.
    EOS

  9. #9

    Default Re: Overseas Trip, Ways to protect DSLR?

    Quote Originally Posted by Octarine View Post
    Especially in this case it's dead save to assume that your question has been asked already and many answers are there
    Worry more about yourself and proper clothing, shoes. Your camera has been designed in a country that has plenty of cold Winter days. Do you think Nikon would bring something to market that would fail already in the normal weather of the home country? Unlikely, right?
    Good point on clothing.
    You will need gloves.
    But they will be a pain to use a camera with.
    The metal parts of the tripod 'bite' the exposed hand in the cold.
    Maybe you can consider a cheapo spare glove that you can cut off the pointer finder and thumb for better tactile response to the camera controls (but that depends on how well you can tahan the cold).

  10. #10

    Default Re: Overseas Trip, Ways to protect DSLR?

    Quote Originally Posted by pinholecam View Post
    Good point on clothing.
    You will need gloves.
    But they will be a pain to use a camera with.
    The metal parts of the tripod 'bite' the exposed hand in the cold.
    Maybe you can consider a cheapo spare glove that you can cut off the pointer finder and thumb for better tactile response to the camera controls (but that depends on how well you can tahan the cold).
    Depends on the camera too. Most are designed to be easy to use even with gloves.
    Alpha

  11. #11
    Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Christchurch, New Zealand
    Posts
    116

    Default Re: Overseas Trip, Ways to protect DSLR?

    I've used my D5000 at as low as about 1deg C, in the snow. There probably won't be any problems, as long as you dry everything properly before putting it back in your bag.
    Oh and gloves are definitely a good idea

  12. #12
    Moderator daredevil123's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    lil red dot
    Posts
    21,627
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default Re: Overseas Trip, Ways to protect DSLR?

    0 deg is not that cold.....

    My old D90 also not weather sealed. And I shot in -25 deg temps without any issue at all....

  13. #13
    Member snapperBB's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Upper Changi Road
    Posts
    200

    Default Re: Overseas Trip, Ways to protect DSLR?

    Just remember to pack your charger and bring another PNS camera, just in case. We always forget the most basic stuff.

    Murphy's Law may come when you least expect it.

    My 2 Cents
    OLYMPUS EM1.2 I (7-14, 12-40, 12-100,40-150,300)

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •