Results 1 to 19 of 19

Thread: One do it all lens, one body or two lenses, two bodies?

  1. #1

    Default One do it all lens, one body or two lenses, two bodies?

    Been thinking about this lately.

    I've been shooting with 2 different lenses on 2 bodies for events but realised that I tend to miss out on great shots while making the switch.

    Those who shoot 1 lens (e.g 18-200, 18-270) on 1 body and others who also shoot 2 lens on 2 bodies, care to discuss and share your experiences and views?

    Cheers.

  2. #2
    Moderator catchlights's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Punggol, Singapore
    Posts
    21,902

    Default Re: One do it all lens, one body or two lenses, two bodies?

    I shoot with 24-70 mainly, have a back up body and 70-200 in my bag.

    those shots unable to cover by 24-70, usually are not important shots, if it is important, you will have time for that.
    Shoot to Live, Live to Shoot
    www.benjaminloo.com | iStock portfolio

  3. #3
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    3,786

    Default

    A pro once told me, Anticipation is the key to shoot event. If u are familiar enough to know what's happening next, you will be more prepared. He uses 1 body and 3 lenses. One trick I noticed is that he nvr put on his back cap for all the idle lenses in his bag, which is one way to increase changing lens speed.
    Equipment: D800|D700|11-16|28-75|105 Micro VR|50 F1.4G|85 F1.8G
    Through the Lens of Cowseye

  4. #4
    Senior Member Anson's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    ansonchew.com
    Posts
    8,210

    Default Re: One do it all lens, one body or two lenses, two bodies?

    Did an indoor event recently with just a 28-300VC (with 580EX2). The backup for the event was a crop (7D) and 17-35 lens.


    For more formal event I would normally use 17-35 + 28-75 + 70-200F2.8IS with a FF & crop.

  5. #5

    Default Re: One do it all lens, one body or two lenses, two bodies?

    Different people different style.

    With 24-70 I can cover almost everything. If I need reach, it's actually a 105/135 prime.

    The 70-200 only comes out for concerts or sports .

    So after a while, 24-70 bread and butter workhorse lens.
    WTB Manfrotto RC4 L Bracket

  6. #6

    Default Re: One do it all lens, one body or two lenses, two bodies?

    Normally for a wedding, I shoot with 3 cameras and 3 lenses using blackrapid strap.

    I am a right handed so I will put most use lens on my right hand side and second most used on my neck and less likely use lens on my left.

    Depending on situation, I rotate them around in order of priority but most of the time M8 + 50 lux stays on my neck.

    I find this give me much faster Workflow.

    I don't shoot with flash as I find it cumbersome and if I do, I left all in the bag and shoot with 1 body and 24-70 and flash only.

    Regards,

    Hart

  7. #7

    Default Re: One do it all lens, one body or two lenses, two bodies?

    Hi guys,

    Thanks for sharing.

    Can I ask if most of you who can settle with just a 24-70 are shooting on a FF body?

    I'm currently shooting 12-24 and 28-75 on two non-FF bodies. I'm finding that even at 28mm, I'm a bit too close to the subjects as most of my events are in small indoor spaces. So I end up shooting with 12-24 75% of the time. But then from time to time I do need the extra zoom to capture close ups of facial expressions.

    And to keep my costs low, i only have 1 external flash and 1 flash batt pack and more precious seconds are wasted switching it between the bodies. So seriously considering switching to a 1 body 1 lens setup... Hmmm...
    Last edited by harlequin2902; 16th November 2011 at 12:49 AM.

  8. #8

    Default Re: One do it all lens, one body or two lenses, two bodies?

    Quote Originally Posted by harlequin2902 View Post
    Hi guys,

    Thanks for sharing.

    Can I ask if most of you who can settle with just a 24-70 are shooting on a FF body?

    I'm currently shooting 12-24 and 28-75 on two non-FF bodies. I'm finding that even at 28mm, I'm a bit too close to the subjects as most of my events are in small indoor spaces. So I end up shooting with 12-24 75% of the time. But then from time to time I do need the extra zoom to capture close ups of facial expressions.

    And to keep my costs low, i only have 1 external flash and 1 flash batt pack and more precious seconds are wasted switching it between the bodies. So seriously considering switching to a 1 body 1 lens setup... Hmmm...

    24-70 is on FX body, if I am shooting DX, it will be 17-55, the midrange zoom is there for good reasons. 24-70 on DX is not ideal. Your 28mm on DX becomes like 42mm, which is actually a 'normal lens' like a 50mm. Not wide enough to be versatile.

    I don't really settle JUST for a 24-70 but thats the lens I use for events, most versatile and ready for any situation. As mentioned, if I need more reach, I pull out the 105 or 135 prime on a second body.

    12-24mm on DX equates to 18-35 wide angle zoom. In big events with multi shooters each serving different clients, thats the way to piss off other photogs by constantly standing right in front of the subject, blocking other photogs, shooting right in the face of the subjects and making them uncomfortable, and getting WA distortion. Doesn't always happen but when your trying to get single person close up, you unconsciously walk right into the face.

    Flash wise, what are you shooting? For events I am very flash intensive. For weddings, I use flash mainly on group shots and turn it on and off selectively depending on situation. But you really need 2 flashes, also for backup purposes.
    WTB Manfrotto RC4 L Bracket

  9. #9

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Cowseye
    A pro once told me, Anticipation is the key to shoot event. If u are familiar enough to know what's happening next, you will be more prepared. He uses 1 body and 3 lenses. One trick I noticed is that he nvr put on his back cap for all the idle lenses in his bag, which is one way to increase changing lens speed.
    I am not so pro, but i also shoot in this manner, 1 body 3 prime, no cap, open len pounch. So every now and then got to service at nikon. I do take 2nd dx body mounted with 35mm, cos mostly my fx is 24mm.

  10. #10

    Default

    24-70 f2.8 on FF, with flash. It does cover 95% of all shots I want to cover. For creativity, either my 50 f1.4 or 32 f2. But they are forever in my bag. 70 200 used when I want to cover further subjects to add some different perspective to my works, but it is often in the bag too. Generally I like it to be close up, I want people look at me in some shots. Backup is really good if you wanna feel safe or your works need you to change between long reach and close reach fast, such as a large spaced event with stage and also with people around you.
    D3S|N70-200|N24-70|N24-85|N50f1.4|N35f2|SB800|SB900|Yashica GS|S95
    www.flickr.com/photos/davidktw

  11. #11
    Senior Member oracle0711's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    Settling down in Punggol
    Posts
    2,133

    Default Re: One do it all lens, one body or two lenses, two bodies?

    Standard shooting practice for me would one of the following:

    If my bags only have prime lenses, it would be 35mm for me to cover all the close range to mid range activities (sometimes, you just want to add more things into the frame). The 135mm or 200mm is for more telephoto coverages of faces and expression or for isolation of subjects purposes.

    If zoom lenses are the configuration, it would be 24-70mm and the 70-200mm as the combination. Same style as above. The 70-200mm does the isolation of subjects to get a close-up shot. However, this 2 lenses add a lot of weight to the bag and body. It is tiring and even more so today than 10 years ago (sigh).

    For body, I will always have an identical body as a backup and will have standard shooting settings being per-saved into the personal settings for ease of access.

  12. #12

    Default

    For most corporate events, not weddings, I carry 2 bodies, D700 w 24-70 n flash, D7k w 85

    Carried w Blackrapid Double strap n Thinktank pouches helps alot, works great for me.

    Well, unless I know e event requires other setup...
    Last edited by redmonsoon; 19th November 2011 at 02:32 PM.

  13. #13

    Default Re: One do it all lens, one body or two lenses, two bodies?

    What are the lens are you using now?

    Depend on your lens, we may answer your question.
    Quote Originally Posted by harlequin2902 View Post
    Been thinking about this lately.

    I've been shooting with 2 different lenses on 2 bodies for events but realised that I tend to miss out on great shots while making the switch.

    Those who shoot 1 lens (e.g 18-200, 18-270) on 1 body and others who also shoot 2 lens on 2 bodies, care to discuss and share your experiences and views?

    Cheers.

  14. #14

    Default Re: One do it all lens, one body or two lenses, two bodies?

    Quote Originally Posted by redmonsoon View Post
    For most corporate events, not weddings, I carry 2 bodies, D700 w 24-70 n flash, D7k w 85

    Carried w Blackrapid Double strap n Thinktank pouches helps alot, works great for me.

    Well, unless I know e event requires other setup...
    How much is Blackrapid strap?

  15. #15
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    3,786

    Default Re: One do it all lens, one body or two lenses, two bodies?

    Quote Originally Posted by Agetan View Post
    Normally for a wedding, I shoot with 3 cameras and 3 lenses using blackrapid strap.

    I am a right handed so I will put most use lens on my right hand side and second most used on my neck and less likely use lens on my left.

    Depending on situation, I rotate them around in order of priority but most of the time M8 + 50 lux stays on my neck.

    I find this give me much faster Workflow.

    I don't shoot with flash as I find it cumbersome and if I do, I left all in the bag and shoot with 1 body and 24-70 and flash only.

    Regards,

    Hart
    Almost thought you had 3 DSLR bodies on your shoot until you mention M8. The physical taxing from carrying 2 bodies is almost enough to tear muscles after a day shoot. Carrying 3 DSLR bodies is almost unimaginable and appears more like acrobatic juggling between camera bodies. ^^"

    But carrying 3 cameras in a shoot still looks like feat
    Equipment: D800|D700|11-16|28-75|105 Micro VR|50 F1.4G|85 F1.8G
    Through the Lens of Cowseye

  16. #16

    Default Re: One do it all lens, one body or two lenses, two bodies?

    I do met a tog who shoots with three D80 bodies, without grips. I think his setup was like 24, 50, 85, all primes and flash-less. Actually doable with AF/AFD series of lighter primes, and plastic bodies like D80/D90. He was quite a big size guy too.
    WTB Manfrotto RC4 L Bracket

  17. #17

    Default Re: One do it all lens, one body or two lenses, two bodies?

    Quote Originally Posted by Cowseye View Post
    Almost thought you had 3 DSLR bodies on your shoot until you mention M8. The physical taxing from carrying 2 bodies is almost enough to tear muscles after a day shoot. Carrying 3 DSLR bodies is almost unimaginable and appears more like acrobatic juggling between camera bodies. ^^"

    But carrying 3 cameras in a shoot still looks like feat
    I only shoot about 10 weddings a year but BlackRapid Double Straps work wonders in spreading the load and allow you to work quickly.

    But if I know certain situation where I can use only one lens, I will leave everything else in my rolling bag and use one lens and one body set up.

    I shoot portrait most of the time and I generally shoot with 24-70 on FF body if it is indoor or if I can get closer to the subject or 70-210 outdoor as I prefer to let the subject do what they want and keep a distance. It work remarkably well.

    The trick is to understand your workflow and slim down your gear to your requirement.

    Regards,

    Hart

  18. #18

    Default Re: One do it all lens, one body or two lenses, two bodies?

    Quote Originally Posted by Squid108 View Post
    What are the lens are you using now?

    Depend on your lens, we may answer your question.
    Used to have 12-24 and 28-75 on a D300s and D2X. Both crop bodies.

    Have since changed to a 17-50 on my D300s and kept the D2X as backup. Shot a ROM today with this new setup and it works great for me! No more missing anything due to the time spent switching between 2 cameras like previoisly.

  19. #19

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Agetan

    I only shoot about 10 weddings a year but BlackRapid Double Straps work wonders in spreading the load and allow you to work quickly.

    But if I know certain situation where I can use only one lens, I will leave everything else in my rolling bag and use one lens and one body set up.

    I shoot portrait most of the time and I generally shoot with 24-70 on FF body if it is indoor or if I can get closer to the subject or 70-210 outdoor as I prefer to let the subject do what they want and keep a distance. It work remarkably well.

    The trick is to understand your workflow and slim down your gear to your requirement.

    Regards,

    Hart
    Well said .. Think this applied to ppl who are not longer young (and fit) ... Hehe ..

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •