Page 4 of 11 FirstFirst ... 234569 ... LastLast

Thread: How to convince wife?

Default Re: How to convince wife?

It is funny... in this thread... everyone is giving ways and means to TS to 'convince', 'lies', 'whatever' to his wife so that he can get a new toy. And very very few actually told TS the most important thing...

Just talk to your wife, tell her why you want the camera. And if her answer is a 'no', then let it rest. It is not like it is the end of the world, and that you must HAVE that camera. And if her answer is 'yes', then good for TS.

The way to marriage happiness is always communication. What is the use of coming home with a something that in the end ended up in silly quarrels... and blackface for a few days? What is the use of lying to wife saying that this camera is for you and you love her and whatever shits? The bottom line is... talk to her... just talk to her.
    I am not a photographer, just someone who happened to have a couple of cameras.
    My lousy shots

Quote Originally Posted by rhino123
    It is funny... in this thread... everyone is giving ways and means to TS to 'convince', 'lies', 'whatever' to his wife so that he can get a new toy. And very very few actually told TS the most important thing...

Just talk to your wife, tell her why you want the camera. And if her answer is a 'no', then let it rest. It is not like it is the end of the world, and that you must HAVE that camera. And if her answer is 'yes', then good for TS.

The way to marriage happiness is always communication. What is the use of coming home with a something that in the end ended up in silly quarrels... and blackface for a few days? What is the use of lying to wife saying that this camera is for you and you love her and whatever shits? The bottom line is... talk to her... just talk to her.
    true enough. convince?
    whats there to convince much about it?
    just have a good talk with your wife.

I strongly disagree to lie to your other half. She should know what is her reason for disallowing you to get an expensive "toy", and if the reason make sense then you should drop the idea of disappointing her.

i once saved up for a 200 f/2 L but my fiance stopped me from getting one. I respect her, merely because she prefer I spend on something we both can enjoy instead so in the end I brought her for a 2-weeks vacation. She's happy, I'm happy... do I miss my f/2 L? Yeap, but oh well she smile on her face means so much more than the red ring... and the huge front element... and the white cold body... and the tripod collar...

OK, I still love her. Bye bye f/2 L. frankly I don't know what the hell should I do with the f/2 L anyway... perhaps a 600mm is more useful...
    Fujifilm X-Pro2 Graphite, X-Pro1
    XF 14/2.8, 18/2, 23/2, 35/1.4, 56/1.2, 60/2.4, 55-200/3.5-4.8

Quote Originally Posted by devilry View Post
    Divorce isn't the worst, trust me..

The wife will stop doing *ah-hem*... As a guy I feel this is the worst torture the wife can dish out if the husband misbehaves by buying camera without her approval
    Haha, this thread is such a hit, even Nikon has noticed it! And they have been inspired to make a new tagline.

D7000
    "I AM: Better Than Sex"

Ya talk to her.

If she disagree, buy it anyway.

Say it's for the baby, if you guys don't have one, start making one.

See, you get camera and sex! Why not?!
    Last edited by tecnica; 16th November 2011 at 11:41 AM.

Somehow I had the same situation as TS when I got my camera, I didn't wanna lie to my wife, and wanted to respect her by letting her know, initially I got it just for our honeymoon, convinced her that you wish to take the "best" pictures from the trip, after that then upgrade along the way, of cos by that time your wife should understand its your passion and also along the way, if you managed to take nice pictures, she will be convince that a DSLR will do the job better than PnS.

Quote Originally Posted by rhino123 View Post

Thanks, rhino123.
    I think I'd just talk to her and see what she says.
    You're right. It's not the end of the world, and I'd not die without it.

Quote Originally Posted by yrh0413 View Post
    I strongly disagree to lie to your other half. She should know what is her reason for disallowing you to get an expensive "toy", and if the reason make sense then you should drop the idea of disappointing her.

i once saved up for a 200 f/2 L but my fiance stopped me from getting one. I respect her, merely because she prefer I spend on something we both can enjoy instead so in the end I brought her for a 2-weeks vacation. She's happy, I'm happy... do I miss my f/2 L? Yeap, but oh well she smile on her face means so much more than the red ring... and the huge front element... and the white cold body... and the tripod collar...

OK, I still love her. Bye bye f/2 L. frankly I don't know what the hell should I do with the f/2 L anyway... perhaps a 600mm is more useful...
    600mm??? omg.

Yah lor TS, just have a good nice chat with ya wife somewhere near funan, who knows bringing her along to get the camera also might be a good idea,

Good luck to you TS....
    LORD of THe NoObs
    FLICKR

Quote Originally Posted by Denniswong View Post
    Thanks, rhino123.
    I think I'd just talk to her and see what she says.
    You're right. It's not the end of the world, and I'd not die without it.
    Ya, Dennis, it is better to be honest.

The worst case is not "No new camera". It can be a compromise (like everything else in a marriage) camera.

Sequitor mentioned the Nex 5N. Maybe, for good amateur pictures, a Nex or a Olympus/Panasonic Micro 4/3 camera is middle ground?

Tell her that it's important to have a DSLR because you can't cook with it, can't eat it, grows fungus, eats money buying addons and most importantly in 30 years time you'll be able to look back in time coz you got a life log.

Truthfully, a PnS does better as you're more likely to have it around, but there are times when you just want the better shot.

Get the message?......you need to buy both ;-) ;-)

Don't buy the DSLR, use the money and hire a damn damn award winning photographer. Buy a DSLR and you are still considered as a newbie on day 1.

Camera body also depreciate as time pass and new models are out.
    Think fast, aim for the best !

Oh my... Looks like I am the rotten apple...

I apologize for my stupid ideas.

Dennis, go and talk to your wife and let us know what's the outcome ok?

TS.
    Just buy and bring home the camera together with an equally expensive ladies handbag for her.
    Coolthought - 冷静思考 - クールだ http://xaa.xanga.com/0aba0666d143253.../t35917343.gif

Be a man why do you need to ask her? If you can convince yourself this purchase is not a waste It is you to decide

Rather than trying to convince her, why not poison her to buy the camera gear and shoot together? Then both of you can share the gear together.
    Kent Wong Photography |Leica Q & Leica M-P 240 | 75 & 28mm Summilux

Quote Originally Posted by kentwong81 View Post
    Rather than trying to convince her, why not poison her to buy the camera gear and shoot together? Then both of you can share the gear together.
    If she do not have feeling on camera, she even bored looking at you shooting.... I suggest inform her and buy.. not necessary to think so hard..

Thank you all for your great suggestions.

I think I'd just find a good time to seek her consensus in getting a cam. I'd do it subtly first.

Like to know the outcome..

good luck with it.

Page 4 of 11 FirstFirst ... 234569 ... LastLast