Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: discouraging - how to motivate me?

give a toy camera a whirl. i find the absence of technology distinctly liberating and fun!
    Today is a gift; that's why it's called the present.
    The toys

Lightbulb

During the last 10 hours since you first posted, you had so many people advising you. CSers are helpful, generally.

Default Treat photography like a woman

Quote Originally Posted by Paul_Yeo
    found that i have taken over 7000 photos this few months....but most of the photos are not very nice. (quantity not equal to quality )

a bit discouraged .... wondering how to motivate myself and how to improve skills?
    To understand what you are doing with photography let put it this way:

To some people photography is an occupation while to others it is a preocupation.
    To be happy with what you are doing lets treat photography just like a woman.

You must understand her a lot and love her a little.
    A man takes up photography expecting that he would change into an artist,
    but he doesn’t especially when the women are not around him.

After a couple of hundred images a man is tired with
    his camera and is no more curious while all he does
    after shooting is to sit in front of the screen to do
    post processing and editing with his images.
    Well, to end all this argument let the woman
    guide us back to the beginning and let get wet together. together

Hi Paul, you from MDF right?

Anyway, you have not tell us why you feel your photos are no good? If you are comparing with the masters here... then it's a different story.

Also, fret not with the number game... tot I saw it somewhere something like : "perfection is a goal with no end." If photography is not your bread and butter, it's ment to be enjoyed. (not saying that those pro cannot enjoy tho)
    Gallery | Facebook Page Spreading the Good photography.

Take a break, have a kit-kat. While you're at that, read up.

shoot with an aim ...and aim to get good shots for every frame...at least try ya best..stuff tt's not worth it dun shoot....
    like tt u will feel better...

even when i go for an outing i at most will go home with 36 shots...ard one roll of film...perhaps its fr all the film shooting last time...though all may not be superb...but at least they are satisfying to me..

Deregistered

one of the concerns might be how soon you'll need to change the shutter mechanism.

7000 shots over how many months, exactly? just learnt this over the year - initially i used to whack over 400 shots a day for many days a month - then later on i got bored of looking at photos that are just snapshots, that children can take using a PnS. so i thought i better think harder before i shoot.

try it.

Qns: Why do car need breaks?
    So you can drive faster!

Relax, take your time to think and shoot. Study your shot, look at magazine and ask what make them a good picture. Learn it's elements and try to bring it out the next time you shoot.

NG picture 1 picture out of 4000 for the cover page every issue.

Believe me, certain things cannot be rushed. Take a break, catch some movies, watch some theatre shows and go sight-seeing more. There would come a time when your eyes start to pick out something differently and then you would have overcome your problem of not able to shoot satisfactorily.

Quote Originally Posted by Paul_Yeo
    found that i have taken over 7000 photos this few months....but most of the photos are not very nice. (quantity not equal to quality )

a bit discouraged .... wondering how to motivate myself and how to improve skills?

oh believe me....I started in 1984 and got that bot of depression like you. worse was I was a poor secondary school kid with a pentax, vs the Ni-a-kungs users who thinks that the N-brand are the world greatest.... well, that is another story....

My inspriations, the photos from National geographic magazine...it covers a very very wide range of topics from nature to macro to travel to people and such.... reading those photography books really teaches you nothing useful other then this is a camera and that is a lens...it may even serves to confuse...

Nope Nat Geo mag doesn't tells you the specs of everyshot, but the composition and the mood behind each picture was more important... and let your imagination run wild on trying to copy the style and technics....no harm trying nowadays they are all digital...

no you do not have the $$$ to match their gears or the time to match their patience.....but for the record, those picture are mostly done on film....no cooking..... that was why I am still a subscriber to their magazine after all these years...

critics...hmm. they are helpful especially when to go thru the learning curves. CSers are generally nice people but some sounded so ya-ya that I dun borther talking to them...

so, if you like to go for a simple shot out with a DSLR newbie like me. PM me lah... if you want to see what works standards are, I will show you my underwater photography portfolio and the 2 books that I have photographed.

Quote Originally Posted by Sion
    Spend time studying the images of your favorite photographers.
    Take one of these favourite photos and try to reproduce it with similar equipment.
    When you manage to reach the summit - roar out "Yes! I know how to do it!"

Some personal statistics:
    - I roared once in Kews garden with a chinon P & S - seven years ago. Success came after a few thosand shots.
    - I roared again in August 2004 with a 300D. Success came after more than 7000 shots.

A conclusion - Above composition, it is the magical light quality that must be diligently hunted down to achieve what others can do. Learn to see it in both photos and actual situation, recognise it before shooting it.

Recommended exercise: Go to the Singapore Botanical garden from 0645 hours to 0930 hours WITHOUT A CAMERA. You can normally see on a good typical day - many kind of good quality lights and situations : Flowers, birds, people in motion, spider webs, water, streaming light through trees, Look and really SEE first before bringing the camera.

And yes - I am still a newbie and a learner (slow one as well). Really - no false humility here. Still happily plodding on. Still counting the failures as steps to success.
    Last edited by dundee; 9th November 2004 at 01:42 AM.

thanks for all your precious and sincere comments! there are overwhelming and thus, I have to read carefully and slowly

Deregistered

Shoot film... it's fun ...

Shoot something you are passionate about. And avoid group photography, avoid model shoots, avoid gear talks, avoid buy buy buy mentality, avoid digital.

Go with one camera and one lens. Do a roll a day, then 20 frames, then 10, then 5 then one a day.

Then come back to me.

Shoot something you are passionate about. And avoid group photography, avoid model shoots, avoid gear talks, avoid buy buy buy mentality, avoid digital.

Go with one camera and one lens. Do a roll a day, then 20 frames, then 10, then 5 then one a day.

Then come back to me.

i find that by just chilling out and relaxing with a book or magazine, by just looking at peoples pictures, u'll get inspiration...not to copy but to see where or how the photographer takes his/her photos. dont bang ur self cos u took thousands of photos and they dun come out good.
    the lightbulb wasn't invented in just 1 try =)

Quote Originally Posted by forward
    To be happy with what you are doing lets treat photography just like a woman.
    Haw long have U been married?

1. Buy a new lens then you will be motivated again. Buy the exotic ones, eg DC lens, fisheyes, ultrawide.

2. Change your angle on how to see things, high, low, sideway, etc.

3. Observe the same scenery from dusk to dawn, see how the light has changed.

4. Shoot in macro, many common little things in life becomes very interesting when u are in macro.

start buying new toys... tat's a sure motive...

If you're un-motivated, you're not challenging yourself.

"7000 in a few months"...? Shoot less, think more. If it didn't look good through the viewfinder, what are the chances it'll look good on the monitor? Learn to trust your own instincts.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast