Thread: Pelican@Bird Park

Default Pelican@Bird Park

After the feedback I received from my thread of NTU photo, I'm more eager motivated to get expert opinions and educate myself! Here I present another one of a Pelican shot at Jurong Bird Park

1. in what area is critique to be sought?

Composition, light, and of course post-processing.

2. what one hopes to achieve with the piece of work?

A poster like shot of a the big and beautiful pelican!!

3. under what circumstance is the picture taken? (physical conditions/emotions)

Some of those pelicans were posing like a model girl in different styles!

4. what the critique seeker personally thinks of the picture

As a very newbie, this photo actually gave me satisfaction and confidence that I'm improving even if slowly (I'm patient ) Experts could have made it like a dream shot, hence seek some views and tips about bird photography. Requesting critical comments
    Thanks
    Last edited by gmkris; 15th November 2011 at 10:03 AM. Reason: Edit: Reduced the dimension

Default Re: Pelican@Bird Park

Good capture! Nicely placed fountain on the right, though I think it sort of distract the subject a little.

Quote Originally Posted by AhKar View Post
    Good capture! Nicely placed fountain on the right, though I think it sort of distract the subject a little.
    I agree with Ahkar. Nice shot thou... thanks for sharing
    Canon 550D /18-135/50 1.8/75-300 USM III/10-22/70-200 f2.8L IS II/

Thanks Ahkar and Turboredbean for your comments and encouragement

Composition:
    Subject placement is good but I personally would have given a little more space to the top, brinign the head and eyes close to the upper third intersection. Also unless you are striving for an environmental portrait, bird shots do better with an isolated background. You can try opening up the aperture more maybe to 5.6? That might be able to keep the entire birds body in focus. The preening pose could work but it doesn't seem to work for me as the head is turned to the near side of the frame.

Exposure and lighting wise its quite nicely exposed but seems a little under, I think you can push it about 1/2 a stop more without sacrificing feather detail. One thing that is missing (and that I'm guilty of too often as well) is the catchlight in the eyes which is important for a portrait. You can get it naturally by observing where the sun is and positioning yourself so there is a natural catch light, or use your flash to give it a little bit of fill.

Post precessing and colour wise its up to you how you want to process it to bring your idea across. This is something you will need to explore and find out on your own.

Keep up the shooting
    Furry Photos - Photography for the Modern Pet