Results 1 to 15 of 15

Thread: Newbie on low light photo

  1. #1

    Default Newbie on low light photo

    hi, newbie here, brought my d7000 almsot 6 months already and still confuse on it ability to take photos.

    Can i ask , to take night photo, it easy to use P mode, with tripod, set the iso to 200 and adjust as i take? or need to take in M mode? What is the WB to set?any good web link to intro on taking night photos?

    thanks.

  2. #2
    Moderator catchlights's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Punggol, Singapore
    Posts
    21,902

    Default Re: Newbie on low light photo

    for me, all along shooting M mode,
    no fix WB, all in RAW and adjust in post.

    Night Photography
    Shoot to Live, Live to Shoot
    www.benjaminloo.com | iStock portfolio

  3. #3
    Senior Member edutilos-'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    The Universe
    Posts
    5,991

    Default Re: Newbie on low light photo

    Prefer M mode, as the camera metering can get very confused at night.

    WB to set, it depends on you... Different people have different tastes.

  4. #4
    Moderator rhino123's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    NA
    Posts
    5,247

    Default Re: Newbie on low light photo

    I use M mode too. Set my ISO to the lowest I can find. Then depending on what is the subject, adjust my aperture and shutter speed.
    I am not a photographer, just someone who happened to have a couple of cameras.
    My lousy shots

  5. #5
    Moderator Octarine's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Pasir Ris
    Posts
    12,390

    Default Re: Newbie on low light photo

    Quote Originally Posted by buzzmario View Post
    hi, newbie here, brought my d7000 almsot 6 months already and still confuse on it ability to take photos.
    Can i ask , to take night photo, it easy to use P mode, with tripod, set the iso to 200 and adjust as i take? or need to take in M mode? What is the WB to set?any good web link to intro on taking night photos?
    Focus on daylight pictures and learn how to handle the different settings and modes of your camera. Night photography is quite a tricky topic and the camera logic is easily fooled, that's why many people use M mode. But using M mode means: you have to think and make decisions.
    For night landscape shots you can start with M, lowest ISO, f/8 or f/11. Watch the exposure meter when adjusting shutter speed. If the camera is in Matrix you can safely use a shutter speed where the meter shows -2 or less. Take some shots and adjust accordingly.
    Don't forget timer or remote shutter release.
    EOS

  6. #6

    Default Re: Newbie on low light photo

    Quote Originally Posted by Octarine View Post
    Focus on daylight pictures and learn how to handle the different settings and modes of your camera. Night photography is quite a tricky topic and the camera logic is easily fooled, that's why many people use M mode. But using M mode means: you have to think and make decisions.
    For night landscape shots you can start with M, lowest ISO, f/8 or f/11. Watch the exposure meter when adjusting shutter speed. If the camera is in Matrix you can safely use a shutter speed where the meter shows -2 or less. Take some shots and adjust accordingly.
    Don't forget timer or remote shutter release.
    the exposure meter is the one seen in the view finder where when i turn up shutter up or down, it will go to the right as + sign and go to the left as - sign?

  7. #7
    Moderator Octarine's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Pasir Ris
    Posts
    12,390

    Default Re: Newbie on low light photo

    Quote Originally Posted by buzzmario View Post
    the exposure meter is the one seen in the view finder where when i turn up shutter up or down, it will go to the right as + sign and go to the left as - sign?
    Yes, it's also described in your manual. Do read up about the various metering modes in order to understand what the camera is doing. The same scene will (usually) give different metering results when using different metering modes.
    EOS

  8. #8

    Default Re: Newbie on low light photo

    Quote Originally Posted by buzzmario View Post
    the exposure meter is the one seen in the view finder where when i turn up shutter up or down, it will go to the right as + sign and go to the left as - sign?
    Have you read your manual?
    Alpha

  9. #9

    Default Re: Newbie on low light photo

    Quote Originally Posted by buzzmario View Post
    hi, newbie here, brought my d7000 almsot 6 months already and still confuse on it ability to take photos.

    Can i ask , to take night photo, it easy to use P mode, with tripod, set the iso to 200 and adjust as i take? or need to take in M mode? What is the WB to set?any good web link to intro on taking night photos?

    thanks.
    Hi, i'm using D7000 as well. have to admit the metering is quite tricky during night time. Tends to go + and - all the time. Also if you are using single spot AF. The matrix metering place some sensitivity on it. WB is up to you, like other bros mentioned.
    Last edited by Fezqu; 15th November 2011 at 04:47 AM.

  10. #10
    Member chillicutter's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Telok Blangah
    Posts
    727

    Default Re: Newbie on low light photo

    Quote Originally Posted by buzzmario View Post
    hi, newbie here, brought my d7000 almsot 6 months already and still confuse on it ability to take photos.

    Can i ask , to take night photo, it easy to use P mode, with tripod, set the iso to 200 and adjust as i take? or need to take in M mode? What is the WB to set?any good web link to intro on taking night photos?

    thanks.
    You got tripod?

  11. #11

    Default Re: Newbie on low light photo

    For low light, it is better to use M mode but play around with your camera so you know it's limit. At times I in M mode, underexpose it because I need the shutter speed and a ISO I want. Then I correct the exposure on post. Why do I have to do that? Cos nobody gives or sponsor me a D3s.

  12. #12
    Member Csboi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Pulau Ubin
    Posts
    989

    Default Re: Newbie on low light photo

    It feels so weird to have CS4 but I don't know how to use it. Oh dear..
    Cheap lenses are not good AND Good lenses are not cheap!

  13. #13

    Default Re: Newbie on low light photo

    Quote Originally Posted by buzzmario View Post
    hi, newbie here, brought my d7000 almsot 6 months already and still confuse on it ability to take photos.

    Can i ask , to take night photo, it easy to use P mode, with tripod, set the iso to 200 and adjust as i take? or need to take in M mode? What is the WB to set?any good web link to intro on taking night photos?

    thanks.
    I would suggest that;
    1. if you are the type who like to be "spoon fed", go and attend basic dslr photography class(s)
    2. buy or borrow and read photography book(s) that teaches you the basic in dslr handling
    3. search the internet for sites that teaches beginner dslr user using search engines like google, yahoo, etc.

    There is nothing wrong using P mode, maybe in situation whereby you have few precious seconds to get ready to shoot or the moment will pass you by. However, if you shoot regularly in P mode, then there is no difference using a pns to shoot.
    Coolthought - 冷静思考 - クールだ http://xaa.xanga.com/0aba0666d143253.../t35917343.gif

  14. #14
    Senior Member edutilos-'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    The Universe
    Posts
    5,991

    Default Re: Newbie on low light photo

    Quote Originally Posted by coolthought View Post
    I would suggest that;
    1. if you are the type who like to be "spoon fed", go and attend basic dslr photography class(s)
    2. buy or borrow and read photography book(s) that teaches you the basic in dslr handling
    3. search the internet for sites that teaches beginner dslr user using search engines like google, yahoo, etc.

    There is nothing wrong using P mode, maybe in situation whereby you have few precious seconds to get ready to shoot or the moment will pass you by. However, if you shoot regularly in P mode, then there is no difference using a pns to shoot.
    Well, the IQ will be better..

  15. #15
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Woodlands
    Posts
    446

    Default Re: Newbie on low light photo

    If u are shooting night landscape jus keep trying till u are happy with your shot after all i don think the landsacpe will be going anywhere soon. I don knw if 1 shot 1 kill can be achieved in night but with enuf practice and accumulation of experiences you will be able to bring down the number of wasted shots.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •