Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Torn btw Sony Nex-5N & Samsung NX200

Default Re: Torn btw Sony Nex-5N & Samsung NX200

Recently i have done quite a bit of reading...

I think the best way is to shoot more n make more errors :P

Heard that the NX200 can use Pentax lenses too, with autofocus and all.

Which totally dwarfs the lens offering from Sony. I think the newer NEX-7 is a pretty awesome camera if Sony were to come up with more lenses for it!

Quote Originally Posted by adidasfreak View Post
    Heard that the NX200 can use Pentax lenses too, with autofocus and all.

Which totally dwarfs the lens offering from Sony. I think the newer NEX-7 is a pretty awesome camera if Sony were to come up with more lenses for it!
    If we are talking about lens adaptor available, NEX will have more options.

BTW, with Alpha mount adaptor, NEX can also use the whole range of Alpha/Minolta lenses with Phase Detect AF capability.

Coming back to TS (I am not too sure if he has decided). I have tried both 5N and NX200.

NX200:
    Pros
    - JPEGs looks nicer below ISO3200
    - Camera body has better grip and easier to operate with more dedicated buttons
    - Video quality is surprisingly better than 5N (looks more saturated and sharper)
    - Focusing is quicker in good lighting condition
    - 30mm prime is a gem. 18-55 is sharp and nice (made in Korea somemore)
    Cons
    - Focusing in low lighting condition is a hassle as it tends to misfocus or refuse to focus
    - Using 30mm in video mode tends to AF too much, making the video unuseable
    - 30mm prime focusing is slow
    - Camera body feels lot more plasticky, esp the battery door compartment
    - Shooting RAW slows the camera operation almost to a halt, esp when shooting burst mode
    - ISO3200 and above has too much noise (esp colour noise which is difficult to get rid of in PP)
    - Battery life is bad
    Last edited by Ouverture; 10th December 2011 at 01:05 AM.

TS already bought the 5N.

btw.. i don't really like the build quality of Samsung products. they tend to spoil easily, and i'm the type who likes to make a purchase and not have to make a similar purchase just a few months down the road.
    Last edited by kei1309; 10th December 2011 at 02:47 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by bruggink View Post
    It's quite difficult for me to accept that someone is considering mirrorless systems when he/she shows "exceptional interest" in photography.

If you are really into photography, I would suggest your first camera to be a DSLR. That's when you learn the most. If you just wanna take pictures and don't want to be bothered by all the basics and theories, then that will be a different story. Just my 2 cents.
    i really dont understand why some still thinks that to learn photography, its best to have a proper cam like a dslr..

@TS
    if you have only learned the very basics of photography.. even your old sony TX series cams will be able to produce far better photos as compared to the ones you posted using the nex5n. heck even an iphone cam is comparatively good enough as long as you know your equipment's limitations and strengths and work and learn from there. a photographer should not be limited by the equipment as your imagination is beyond bounds
    Last edited by naynoy; 10th December 2011 at 03:03 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by bruggink
    It's quite difficult for me to accept that someone is considering mirrorless systems when he/she shows "exceptional interest" in photography.

If you are really into photography, I would suggest your first camera to be a DSLR. That's when you learn the most. If you just wanna take pictures and don't want to be bothered by all the basics and theories, then that will be a different story. Just my 2 cents.
    Who tell you that? Your friends arh?

I bought a panasonic LZ10 that only cost me $179 at that time, and it offers full manual controls, and thats where I learn from scratch. And I progress to DSLR now, with so much ease.

Who says must start from DSLR? Why spend thousands of dollars on something that you don't even know you will stay on it for long term.

Alot of beginners or wannabes, all bought DSLRs JUST because they think they want to take good pictures. Then after 6 months, that DSLR is laying under their beds.....

It may be true in the past, where there are 2 choices of cameras, either compact digi cam or DSLRs.

But now, there are so many choices that comes in between these 2 choices. A person who desire for DSLR, but only want to shoot casual family shots, can now choose mirrorless, 4/3 cameras.

That day, I saw this family at RWS, the father was carrying DSLR, kata backpack, one tripod mounted on backpack, and one arm holding his young son. Behind him, was his wife and another kid. I was saying to myself, "this guy is wasting time with a DSLR......."

Yeah, u can say that I'm narrow minded. But this father really looked damm clumsy with his cam setup, just because he wants to shoot casual family pics.

He's better off with a 4/3 or a Sony-5N that has a DSLR sensor.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234