Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Torn btw Sony Nex-5N & Samsung NX200

Default Re: Torn btw Sony Nex-5N & Samsung NX200

Quote Originally Posted by bruggink View Post
    You may have an eye for the perfect framing and composition but if you use the wrong aperture and shutter settings, do you still think the picture is well taken? The main thing of photography is not just about composition. Photography = Exposure + composition. Both equally important.
    I never say that it is not important to know exposure and stuff. What is more important was framing and composition, get that right first. aperture and shutter setting can be learned later on... that is how I start off. I use program mode or auto mode on my DSLR first, until I think I am okay with framing and stuff before playing with aperture and shutter.

And for that, you don't really need a DSLR... in actual fact a mirrorless work very very well... oh... one more thing 'correct exposure' can be achieved with 'program' mode... and all camera had this mode too...
    I am not a photographer, just someone who happened to have a couple of cameras.
    My lousy shots

Quote Originally Posted by rhino123 View Post
    I never say that it is not important to know exposure and stuff. What is more important was framing and composition, get that right first. aperture and shutter setting can be learned later on... that is how I start off. I use program mode or auto mode on my DSLR first, until I think I am okay with framing and stuff before playing with aperture and shutter.

And for that, you don't really need a DSLR... in actual fact a mirrorless work very very well... oh... one more thing 'correct exposure' can be achieved with 'program' mode... and all camera had this mode too...
    precisely. one doesn't need a DSLR to learn "photography". all you need is a camera that allows you to use the PASM modes

How do u compare and find out whether this lens is a better???
    Anyone can teach me?

Quote Originally Posted by bruggink

You may have an eye for the perfect framing and composition but if you use the wrong aperture and shutter settings, do you still think the picture is well taken? The main thing of photography is not just about composition. Photography = Exposure + composition. Both equally important.
    Framing and composition is more impt than apertures/settings, because it cannot be learned easily.

It draws from your 'art' sense from yourself. Some ppl are more talented than others. Some ppl can draw a dog v well, some tried to draw a dog and it turns out looking like a pig. The drawing part is the art sense. The pencil, shadings, paper are not impt.

Some ppl, no matter how hard they try, cannot compose a shot at all, because they lack of art sense. They just cannot see the object, composition and framing.

Apertures/settings are technical skills, which can be easily learned, just by reading books and some practice.

No eye for composition and framing, means no art sense. Cannot be learned.

I just bought my Nex-5N today....
    Still playing with the camera now...

On the screen there's this "1/60" and "F25".
    What are this 2 things?

Quote Originally Posted by egoiste View Post
    I just bought my Nex-5N today....
    Still playing with the camera now...

On the screen there's this "1/60" and "F25".
    What are this 2 things?
    Please read the manual..It will explain all the values you see on the LCD screen...

anyway:

1/60 = shutter speed
    F25 = Aperture (F/anything is aperture)

you will see the ISO somewhere in the LCD screen too..
    Too many great equipments but too little quality photos. [My Flickr] | [My Blog]

if you need to know more and need someone to teach you.. there's always the FREE class with the sony camera

a review done on sony nex-5n - DigitalRevCom's Channel - YouTube
    might help

I took picture using my 5n for two day already but the end result isn't what i wanted or expected.
    There were too much noise in the pictures.
    I believe it's due to my immature skills.

Anyone here can recommend or tell what i can do to brush up my skills?
    Like some guide book or something?

I took picture using my 5n for two day already but the end result isn't what i wanted or expected.
    There were too much noise in the pictures.
    I believe it's due to my immature skills.

Anyone here can recommend or tell what i can do to brush up my skills?
    Like some guide book or something?
    The second 2 books i took to heart when i 1st started getting interested in photography abt a year ago were the most important: Bryan Petersen's Understanding Exposure and Michael Freeman's The Photographer's Eye. So long as you are interested in photography they will sit on your reference shelf for ages and be referred to often.

The 1st 2 books that mattered to me were Scott Kelby's Digital Photography Vols 1-3 and... my camera's manual The latter is indispensible for almost every question you have about your camera, DSLR, prosumer or P&S. Don't chuck it aside. Bring it along with you when you shoot.

Framing & compositon is an art. Some people have innate ability for it. It doesn't mean the rest of us can't be photographers and make nice pictures. If you have the passion for it you will oft feel that your pictures are not good enough. Take that as a good sign! It will spur you on to learn. What made my picture dull? Is it my exposure settings? Was it the light prevailing at the time? Are there nicer pictures taken of the same scene i can learn from? All the querying will lead you towards being a better photographer!

Thanks for your advise...

I shall get those books to read. I'm very disappoint with those photos i took.
    It's either the pictures are too dark or too noisy...
    I didn't attach the flash though... but i've seen other with amazing picture taken without flash too
    Last edited by egoiste; 28th November 2011 at 01:53 AM.

What is the setting of the picture? If it is at F25, then the pictures will surely come out very dark and with lots of noise. If indoor, the setting should be more like 60 f 6 or smaller

Thanks for your advise...

I shall get those books to read. I'm very disappoint with those photos i took.
    It's either the pictures are too dark or too noisy...
    I didn't attach the flash though... but i've seen other with amazing picture taken without flash too
    Bro... if you can attach some of the pic with exif info, then we can better advise you... also if your pic is taken with very very high ISO, then there are definitely some noise...

If you are shooting at F25, the aperture is really small, and so to allow enough light to enter, you would need longer shutter speed, or by making the sensor more sensitive to light thus rising the ISO. Thus, at f25 and 1/60 sec, the picture is going to be very dark and if the ISO is being raised... then you will tend to see more noise.
    Last edited by rhino123; 28th November 2011 at 09:53 AM.
    My lousy shots

i think less speculation on TS' settings. let's look at his EXIF and image first before confusing TS with everything else

Pls comment. If it's really bad... i have to admit

Care to share the exif? Aperture, shutter speed and ISO.
    My lousy shots

how to get the exif?

how to get the exif?
    Go to your pic, right click, then click on properties, then click on detail.
    My lousy shots

1. f/3.5, 1/6secs, iso3200
    2. f/3.5, 1/40secs, iso3200
    3. f/4, 1/60secs, iso3200
    4. f/8, 1/10secs, iso6400

1. f/3.5, 1/6secs, iso3200
    2. f/3.5, 1/40secs, iso3200
    3. f/4, 1/60secs, iso3200
    4. f/8, 1/10secs, iso6400
    Well... from that exif... the ISO are all very very high, it is no wonder that noise is a problem. Also for the first photo, your speed is too slow so there are lots of motion blur.

Try to use a flash, and step down your ISO to lower (preferably not more than 800)... if you want a less noisy photo. Also... do you really need f8 for your last shot? How far are you from your subject? Can try f5.6 and below to shoot... that way you will be able to increase your shutter speed and so less hand shake (I see that there are some motion blur to your pic, might be caused by your hand shaking).
    Last edited by rhino123; 28th November 2011 at 11:22 PM.
    My lousy shots

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast