Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Hands up! Where are the teachers?

Quote Originally Posted by Adam Goi
    Is that all?
    me! me!

i'm a newbie untrained teacher at SAC hoping to get into NIE (PGDE PE) once i clear the darn ppt

count me in ! primary school teacher at catholic high. EL, maths and art.

i'm awaiting posting...
    =(

Wah! All of you have finally to decided to crawl out of your lair ah?

I am teaching in the John Gokongwei School of Management in the Ateneo de Manila Univerisity (Philippines) for almost three years already I love it although small pay

Wah! All of you have finally to decided to crawl out of your lair ah?
    Hee hee, must come out see sunshine every once in a while hee hee. anyone started a photo club in schools?

OT a bit ah, anyone here uses a light meter? which will u recommend?

Who are school teachers here? Time to confess!
    嗨!大家好!好!好!
    I'm a retired Chinese language teacher. Still teaching in CDAC.
    I'm 59. Am I the oldest member of Clubsnap ?

hey teachers!
    like to share ur experiences on handling rebellious, defiant tuff kids?

i got to teach a NT class last sem.. and they bully me cuz i'm new
    the older teachers told me i cannot be too friendly and smile smile smile at them... sure enuff... they all swim all over me.. i fierce also no use cuz they not scared of me liaoz...

next yr i must start fresh. cannot smile at them on the first week.
    but will find it hard lor.. instinctively will wanna smile at them...

any other tactics?

Quote Originally Posted by furrypaws
    hey teachers!
    like to share ur experiences on handling rebellious, defiant tuff kids?

i got to teach a NT class last sem.. and they bully me cuz i'm new
    the older teachers told me i cannot be too friendly and smile smile smile at them... sure enuff... they all swim all over me.. i fierce also no use cuz they not scared of me liaoz...

next yr i must start fresh. cannot smile at them on the first week.
    but will find it hard lor.. instinctively will wanna smile at them...

any other tactics?

I got to relief teach a few NT classes last sem. From what I heard from my mum and wife... (teaching runs in the family), theres not quick easy way to handle them. The best way is to earn their respect.

Just being fierce alone dosent cut it. There's alway the biggest baddie in class. If you can click with him/her, things in class should be fine.

Yes, earn their respect. Be it Normal (Tech), Normal (Acad) or Express. There is no one-size-fits-all formula to get their attention. During my practicum at a neighbourhood secondary school, I played football with my students (as well as those form other classes) to gain some popularity. On the field, we play together. In class they'll listen to me even if they're not interested in the subject (maybe this is not good enough, but without their attention, things could be worse). Those non-football inclined ones you have to chat them up after school if they happen to hang around in the canteen or other places. Be sincere about it. (Note: All these things are done only after school, don't do such things during school hours or they can get distracted easily.)

Now teaching physics in JC. One that is 21 km (by road distance) from home. Wonder why MOE makes such a poor decision by posting me there. It's good to interact with students who have aspiration, but sometimes you can feel very hopeless when you sense the sloth in those future leaders.

I feel so ashamed to see some of you loving your job with such dedication, even to a ripe old age.

Quote Originally Posted by lui002
    嗨!大家好!好!好!
    I'm a retired Chinese language teacher. Still teaching in CDAC.
    I'm 59. Am I the oldest member of Clubsnap ?
    Don't say you're the oldest! I think you're the youngest among us!

Hi!

I'm a teacher too! Going to JC to teach Physics this coming year. Haha..another *bad* decision from MOE. So any advice from you guys? My practicum, school experience and contract teaching have all been at secondary school.

As said ... learn on the job ... learning with humility and enthusiasm!

Quote Originally Posted by Angel80
    Hi!

I'm a teacher too! Going to JC to teach Physics this coming year. Haha..another *bad* decision from MOE. So any advice from you guys? My practicum, school experience and contract teaching have all been at secondary school.
    I hope you are a physics graduate.

Quote Originally Posted by yaoxing
    I feel so ashamed to see some of you loving your job with such dedication, even to a ripe old age.
    Sorry, I should have said

I feel so ashamed when I see some of you loving your job with such dedication, even to a ripe old age.

haha..... poor choice of expression leads of misunderstanding.

I hope you are a physics graduate.
    Nope. I'm a mechanical engineering grad. That's why I'm not sure why they posted me to JC.

Quote Originally Posted by Angel80
    Nope. I'm a mechanical engineering grad. That's why I'm not sure why they posted me to JC.
    Ho ho ho ho ho........ Merry Christmas.....
    For me I'm not sure why they posted me to a JC so far away. haha!

Don't say you're the oldest! I think you're the youngest among us!
    Yes, oldest in age, youngest in photograhpy.

I'm still considered relatively new in then Teaching profession... but in my 5 years of teaching, I've come to gradually believe that some things in life happen for a reason... I teach in a neighbourhood sec. sch with nothing much to shout about... many new teachers who r posted in have a culture shock of varying extents, depending on what schools they've been to...

I've seen off 2 batches of students whom I've followed through for their 4 years in my sch (a rare thing to happen in sec schs)... I've seen a fair share of students 'branded' 'so-so' or even 'hopeless'... but I just felt that it's my duty to do my job, whatever kind of students I get...

My point is that at many times during your teaching career, there' definitely be times when u'll wonder why things happen the way it does... self-doubt might even creep in... but we need to remember that our 'appraisal' or 'benchmark' of our performance is not by the results that our students attain in the national exams... but rather, what kind of person they become 10 years or more down the road, and what kind of contributions they are making to the society... that'll b our true 'work review'...

At the meantime, I derive satisfaction frm seeing my students become better than who they were when they first came in... the joy is quite indescribable...

Hopefully the distance thingy doesn't get too bothersome for u... find the true anchor as to why u decided to teach, and that should see u through all the storms that are waiting for u

Have lots of fun teaching, and oh yes... Merry Christmas to All the Great Teachers out there...
    Jia Wang... "A photo is only as beautiful as the photographer's eyes can see."
    My Eyes ;)

Deregistered

remember the Monkey God and the "Journey to the West"?

soon to become the Potong Pasir Party Place!

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast