Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 24

Thread: Faster speed with external flash

  1. #1

    Default Faster speed with external flash

    Hi guys,

    Please pardon me if I have not done enough searching or I may have the wrong perception

    Recently I got myself a external flash which is Yong nuo 565 ex ii partly because of a few reasons is that I find that the pop up flash tend to throw flash straight at my subject and also partly to have a faster shutter speed in average low light conditions I.e room or along the streets at night


    I may have missed out some stuff or something when I get my flash as this is my 1st external flash
    Seems that in my room I still have to up my iso to abt 800-1600 at f2.8 to take a decent picture which I normally do even without my flash

    Do I have to set in any settings to attain a faster shutter speed??

    My set up
    1000d
    Tamron 17-50
    Yong nuo 565


    Thanks a lot

  2. #2

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by alancwr
    Hi guys,

    Please pardon me if I have not done enough searching or I may have the wrong perception

    Recently I got myself a external flash which is Yong nuo 565 ex ii partly because of a few reasons is that I find that the pop up flash tend to throw flash straight at my subject and also partly to have a faster shutter speed in average low light conditions I.e room or along the streets at night

    I may have missed out some stuff or something when I get my flash as this is my 1st external flash
    Seems that in my room I still have to up my iso to abt 800-1600 at f2.8 to take a decent picture which I normally do even without my flash

    Do I have to set in any settings to attain a faster shutter speed??

    My set up
    1000d
    Tamron 17-50
    Yong nuo 565

    Thanks a lot
    As for me, I use M mode. Set shutter speed at 1/60 to 1/100 depend on aperture. M mode u r fully control over it.

  3. #3

    Default Re: Faster speed with external flash

    Quote Originally Posted by alancwr View Post
    Hi guys,

    Please pardon me if I have not done enough searching or I may have the wrong perception

    Recently I got myself a external flash which is Yong nuo 565 ex ii partly because of a few reasons is that I find that the pop up flash tend to throw flash straight at my subject and also partly to have a faster shutter speed in average low light conditions I.e room or along the streets at night


    I may have missed out some stuff or something when I get my flash as this is my 1st external flash
    Seems that in my room I still have to up my iso to abt 800-1600 at f2.8 to take a decent picture which I normally do even without my flash

    Do I have to set in any settings to attain a faster shutter speed??

    My set up
    1000d
    Tamron 17-50
    Yong nuo 565


    Thanks a lot
    How fast do you want the shutter to be? Take note that there's a flash sync speed. For the 1000D the max is 1/200, you can't go faster than that.

  4. #4

    Default Re: Faster speed with external flash

    Quote Originally Posted by SamTac View Post
    As for me, I use M mode. Set shutter speed at 1/60 to 1/100 depend on aperture. M mode u r fully control over it.
    I've tried using m mode actually but I'm actually considering that if I'm moving ard den I'll probably have to keep adjusting the flash exposure??

  5. #5

    Default Re: Faster speed with external flash

    Quote Originally Posted by spree86 View Post
    How fast do you want the shutter to be? Take note that there's a flash sync speed. For the 1000D the max is 1/200, you can't go faster than that.
    I've checked that yn565 does not have high sync speed
    But I'm kinda expecting that the flash should be able to support 1/50?without me bumping up my iso to 800

  6. #6

    Default Re: Faster speed with external flash

    first thing first, you got to understand that the yongnuo flash on your hand is not a nuclear flash. truth is, none of the flash units available on the market will give you so much power until it can shoot through infinite distance. every flash unit has a guide number which roughly dictates how much power it can provide you with.

    next, you need to comprehend how the flash unit works under each individual mode. for the full auto/program mode, the speedlite will be treated as the main light which means the camera will ignore the ambient lighting and instruct the speedlite to provide most of the light needed to expose the photo properly. speedlite > ambient.

    for aperture/shutter priority, the speedlite will act as a fill light. meaning to say the camera will meter off the ambient lighting, taking it into consideration and then activating the speedlite only to provide just a kiss of light to fill in the shadow areas. ambient > speedlite. remember, the speedlite is secondary light here and this is precisely why you still need to bump your ISO even when you have got a flash unit mounted on the camera because the ambient lighting is still the priority in Av/Tv mode that is why the camera will still need the higher ISO to compensate for the aperture and shutter speed settings.

    as to how to maintain fast shutter speed? shoot in manual with fixed settings(e.g ISO 400, 1/160s, f2.8) and let the TTL system do the rest of the work. or if you are experienced enough, shoot your flash in manual mode too and input the required power needed for the shot. but i have to warn you first, such way of shooting will not work for street photography at night, unless you want to disregard the ambient street lighting or you have a very very powerful flash unit which can light up the whole damn street.

  7. #7
    Moderator
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Somewhere
    Posts
    3,443

    Default Re: Faster speed with external flash

    Quote Originally Posted by alancwr View Post
    I've checked that yn565 does not have high sync speed
    But I'm kinda expecting that the flash should be able to support 1/50?without me bumping up my iso to 800
    Bro, you may want to spend the next 30mins reading up this article: Flash Photography with Canon EOS Cameras - Part I.

    It will help clear some confusion. Correct me if I'm wrong, you are using TV or AV mode.. under this mode, I think the camera will meter the settings based on your environment WITHOUT flash even thou your flash will be fired.

    For convenience sake, I use Manual...
    Too many great equipments but too little quality photos. [My Flickr] | [My Blog]

  8. #8

    Default Re: Faster speed with external flash

    Hi edmw kor kor

    I understand that my yn565 isn't a nuclear flash I understand the guide number thingy, actually I'm more concerned abt maintaining a shutterr speed of 1/50 during ettl mode so it's kinda like shoot n walk off thingy

    Rather den in m mode I have to adjust the flash output before I shoot

    Sorry if I might have a wrong perception that the flash can help me out during low light conditions

    Quote Originally Posted by tecnica View Post
    first thing first, you got to understand that the yongnuo flash on your hand is not a nuclear flash. truth is, none of the flash units available on the market will give you so much power until it can shoot through infinite distance. every flash unit has a guide number which roughly dictates how much power it can provide you with.

    next, you need to comprehend how the flash unit works under each individual mode. for the full auto/program mode, the speedlite will be treated as the main light which means the camera will ignore the ambient lighting and instruct the speedlite to provide most of the light needed to expose the photo properly. speedlite > ambient.

    for aperture/shutter priority, the speedlite will act as a fill light. meaning to say the camera will meter off the ambient lighting, taking it into consideration and then activating the speedlite only to provide just a kiss of light to fill in the shadow areas. ambient > speedlite. remember, the speedlite is secondary light here and this is precisely why you still need to bump your ISO even when you have got a flash unit mounted on the camera because the ambient lighting is still the priority in Av/Tv mode that is why the camera will still need the higher ISO to compensate for the aperture and shutter speed settings.

    as to how to maintain fast shutter speed? shoot in manual with fixed settings(e.g ISO 400, 1/160s, f2.8) and let the TTL system do the rest of the work. or if you are experienced enough, shoot your flash in manual mode too and input the required power needed for the shot. but i have to warn you first, such way of shooting will not work for street photography at night, unless you want to disregard the ambient street lighting or you have a very very powerful flash unit which can light up the whole damn street.

  9. #9

    Default Re: Faster speed with external flash

    I'm in manual mode w the flash in ttl mode
    I did the metering thru my viewfinder, have to up my iso to 800 before I can achieve a 1/50 at f2.8

    Thanks for the link I'll do a bit of read up

    Quote Originally Posted by SkyStrike View Post
    Bro, you may want to spend the next 30mins reading up this article: Flash Photography with Canon EOS Cameras - Part I.

    It will help clear some confusion. Correct me if I'm wrong, you are using TV or AV mode.. under this mode, I think the camera will meter the settings based on your environment WITHOUT flash even thou your flash will be fired.

    For convenience sake, I use Manual...

  10. #10
    Moderator
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Somewhere
    Posts
    3,443

    Default Re: Faster speed with external flash

    Quote Originally Posted by alancwr View Post
    I'm in manual mode w the flash in ttl mode
    I did the metering thru my viewfinder, have to up my iso to 800 before I can achieve a 1/50 at f2.8

    Thanks for the link I'll do a bit of read up
    I believe the metering that you are doing in M mode is the same as what the camera will "auto" for you when without using flash. By firing flash, your shutter speed can reduce quite abit and it's not taken into consideration by the camera when you are doing the meter.

    The reason why I prefer M mode with flash (be it the wrong reason or not), is for me to adjust the shutter speed, but at fixed aperture and ISO. Normally, with flash, the ISO will pick will normally be below 400. I seldom touch my -ev for flash cos sometimes it acts abit funny... (e.g. totally underexposed).

    I base my settings on the final output and not what I think, then set. If underexposed, then either +ev or reduce the shutter speed
    Too many great equipments but too little quality photos. [My Flickr] | [My Blog]

  11. #11

    Default Re: Faster speed with external flash

    Quote Originally Posted by alancwr View Post
    Hi edmw kor kor

    I understand that my yn565 isn't a nuclear flash I understand the guide number thingy, actually I'm more concerned abt maintaining a shutterr speed of 1/50 during ettl mode so it's kinda like shoot n walk off thingy

    Rather den in m mode I have to adjust the flash output before I shoot

    Sorry if I might have a wrong perception that the flash can help me out during low light conditions


    if you die die want to maintain 1/50s, then shoot in Tv mode, adjust to a comfortable ISO, let the TTL do its work and have a variable aperture floating around.

    or like i said, shoot the camera in manual mode but still leaving the flash in TTL auto mode.

    the flash will definitely help you in low light situations, but that is only if you know how to use it to its fullest potential.

  12. #12

    Default Re: Faster speed with external flash

    Quote Originally Posted by alancwr View Post
    I'm in manual mode w the flash in ttl mode
    I did the metering thru my viewfinder, have to up my iso to 800 before I can achieve a 1/50 at f2.8

    Thanks for the link I'll do a bit of read up
    when doing flash photography in manual mode, i will totally disregard the exposure bar in the VF because i have full control over the exposure, me > camera.

  13. #13

    Default Re: Faster speed with external flash

    Hmmm this seems like an enlightenment for me...

    I try to paraphrase in my own understanding,
    Even though my flash is in ETTL mode, my camera will still meter the surrounding as if the flash does not exist

    Am I right to say, to solve this problem, I set my flash into M mode, setting the flash exposure, therefore if the picture is under exposed or over exposed I just have to adjust my shutter speed or aperture accordingly??without changing the flash output

    Please correct me if I'm wrong
    Quote Originally Posted by SkyStrike View Post
    I believe the metering that you are doing in M mode is the same as what the camera will "auto" for you when without using flash. By firing flash, your shutter speed can reduce quite abit and it's not taken into consideration by the camera when you are doing the meter.

    The reason why I prefer M mode with flash (be it the wrong reason or not), is for me to adjust the shutter speed, but at fixed aperture and ISO. Normally, with flash, the ISO will pick will normally be below 400. I seldom touch my -ev for flash cos sometimes it acts abit funny... (e.g. totally underexposed).

    I base my settings on the final output and not what I think, then set. If underexposed, then either +ev or reduce the shutter speed

  14. #14

    Default Re: Faster speed with external flash

    Quote Originally Posted by tecnica View Post


    if you die die want to maintain 1/50s, then shoot in Tv mode, adjust to a comfortable ISO, let the TTL do its work and have a variable aperture floating around.

    or like i said, shoot the camera in manual mode but still leaving the flash in TTL auto mode.

    the flash will definitely help you in low light situations, but that is only if you know how to use it to its fullest potential.
    I think I understand the whole thing abt flash now
    Seems to me that actually the ettl dun really make a difference for me, I should be spending more time in manual mode in flash

  15. #15

    Default Re: Faster speed with external flash

    Quote Originally Posted by alancwr View Post
    Hmmm this seems like an enlightenment for me...

    I try to paraphrase in my own understanding,
    Even though my flash is in ETTL mode, my camera will still meter the surrounding as if the flash does not exist

    Am I right to say, to solve this problem, I set my flash into M mode, setting the flash exposure, therefore if the picture is under exposed or over exposed I just have to adjust my shutter speed or aperture accordingly??without changing the flash output

    Please correct me if I'm wrong
    Re-read again:
    for aperture/shutter priority, the speedlite will act as a fill light. meaning to say the camera will meter off the ambient lighting, taking it into consideration and then activating the speedlite only to provide just a kiss of light to fill in the shadow areas. ambient > speedlite. remember, the speedlite is secondary light here and this is precisely why you still need to bump your ISO even when you have got a flash unit mounted on the camera because the ambient lighting is still the priority in Av/Tv mode that is why the camera will still need the higher ISO to compensate for the aperture and shutter speed settings.

    point to take note:
    in flash photography, ISO and aperture will have more impact on the exposure than shutter speed alone. if you don't understand what this is all about, try shooting a subject with all settings(including flash) in manual mode - ISO 800, 1/160s, f4.0, give enough flash power until the pic is properly exposed. then, change your shutter speed only to 1/200s and 1/100s and take another 2 pics, you will realise there is little changes to the exposure of the pics. now revert back to 1/160s, try changing the aperture to f5.6 and f2.8 and take another 2 pics, you will see drastic changes in the overall brightness of the pic.


    Quote Originally Posted by alancwr View Post
    I think I understand the whole thing abt flash now
    Seems to me that actually the ettl dun really make a difference for me, I should be spending more time in manual mode in flash
    ETTL does make a difference, you just have to understand how to use it.

  16. #16

    Default Re: Faster speed with external flash

    Hmmm okay thanks very very much!!!
    Really I have learnt a lot!!
    Quote Originally Posted by tecnica View Post
    Re-read again:
    for aperture/shutter priority, the speedlite will act as a fill light. meaning to say the camera will meter off the ambient lighting, taking it into consideration and then activating the speedlite only to provide just a kiss of light to fill in the shadow areas. ambient > speedlite. remember, the speedlite is secondary light here and this is precisely why you still need to bump your ISO even when you have got a flash unit mounted on the camera because the ambient lighting is still the priority in Av/Tv mode that is why the camera will still need the higher ISO to compensate for the aperture and shutter speed settings.

    point to take note:
    in flash photography, ISO and aperture will have more impact on the exposure than shutter speed alone. if you don't understand what this is all about, try shooting a subject with all settings(including flash) in manual mode - ISO 800, 1/160s, f4.0, give enough flash power until the pic is properly exposed. then, change your shutter speed only to 1/200s and 1/100s and take another 2 pics, you will realise there is little changes to the exposure of the pics. now revert back to 1/160s, try changing the aperture to f5.6 and f2.8 and take another 2 pics, you will see drastic changes in the overall brightness of the pic.




    ETTL does make a difference, you just have to understand how to use it.

  17. #17
    Moderator
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Somewhere
    Posts
    3,443

    Default Re: Faster speed with external flash

    Quote Originally Posted by tecnica View Post
    point to take note:
    in flash photography, ISO and aperture will have more impact on the exposure than shutter speed alone. if you don't understand what this is all about, try shooting a subject with all settings(including flash) in manual mode - ISO 800, 1/160s, f4.0, give enough flash power until the pic is properly exposed. then, change your shutter speed only to 1/200s and 1/100s and take another 2 pics, you will realise there is little changes to the exposure of the pics. now revert back to 1/160s, try changing the aperture to f5.6 and f2.8 and take another 2 pics, you will see drastic changes in the overall brightness of the pic.
    new stuffs to learn abt flash...

    *not a big fan of flash, but when you need it, you need it...*
    Too many great equipments but too little quality photos. [My Flickr] | [My Blog]

  18. #18

    Default Re: Faster speed with external flash

    reason why shutter speed has little effect on the exposure is because the flash fires off in like 1/10,000s, way faster than the opening and closing of the shutter.

  19. #19
    Moderator
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Somewhere
    Posts
    3,443

    Default Re: Faster speed with external flash

    Quote Originally Posted by tecnica View Post
    reason why shutter speed has little effect on the exposure is because the flash fires off in like 1/10,000s, way faster than the opening and closing of the shutter.
    probably this explains why sometimes I -ev, the picture becomes quite underexposed

    Still got alot to learn in flash photography, but the issue is, I don't shoot enough with it...
    Too many great equipments but too little quality photos. [My Flickr] | [My Blog]

  20. #20

    Default Re: Faster speed with external flash

    Quote Originally Posted by SkyStrike View Post
    probably this explains why sometimes I -ev, the picture becomes quite underexposed

    Still got alot to learn in flash photography, but the issue is, I don't shoot enough with it...
    actually when you -ev your flash, you are cutting down the power output which means lesser light will be available to light up the subject = underexposed picture.

    there is a learning curve for everything, just take it at a comfortable pace will do.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •