Thread: Nighttime shots from Singapore Flyer

Default Nighttime shots from Singapore Flyer

Going on the Singapore Flyer for the first time. It's going to be at night. Any recommendation on how to steady the camera? Gorillapod can? Or got a place to just leave the camera there for a long exposure? Part of some party lah... so not nice to bring a tripod to freak out my host.

Or is it totally hopeless - i.e., the whole thing will shake too much for a good shot.

Default Re: Nighttime shots from Singapore Flyer

Quote Originally Posted by UncleFai View Post
    Going on the Singapore Flyer for the first time. It's going to be at night. Any recommendation on how to steady the camera? Gorillapod can? Or got a place to just leave the camera there for a long exposure? Part of some party lah... so not nice to bring a tripod to freak out my host.

Or is it totally hopeless - i.e., the whole thing will shake too much for a good shot.
    Gorillapod should be okay... anyway, I don't think tripod is allowed. Another way is to put your camera on the hand rail (use a wide angle lens) and shoot from there.
    I am not a photographer, just someone who happened to have a couple of cameras.
    My lousy shots

Quote Originally Posted by rhino123

Gorillapod should be okay... anyway, I don't think tripod is allowed. Another way is to put your camera on the hand rail (use a wide angle lens) and shoot from there.
    Tripod is allowed=) I went with 3 of my other friends and we all brought and set up tripods in the cabin. Just try not to do exposure that are too long as the cabin is constantly moving. Shots below 5 seconds should be quite clear.

try not to go beyond 1 second.

is TS asking shooting the surrounding landscape from the cabin, or he is there to shoot a party...?? sorry a bit confused.
    LORD of THe NoObs
    FLICKR

Quote Originally Posted by akerue View Post
    is TS asking shooting the surrounding landscape from the cabin, or he is there to shoot a party...?? sorry a bit confused.
    Surrounding.

no need to bring a tripod as cabin will be moving.. unless you're lucky and there's a dinner party going on. then the cabins will continue to stop for about 15 seconds each time

The big challenge as it turned out was reflection on the glass windows of the lights inside the cabin.

Yes, Gorillapod worked very well. Shot using my D7000 + Tokina 12-24mm f4 and the 10.5mm DX fisheye.

Thanks to everyone for the advices given.