Results 1 to 8 of 8

Thread: Nighttime shots from Singapore Flyer

  1. #1
    Senior Member UncleFai's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    4,429

    Default Nighttime shots from Singapore Flyer

    Going on the Singapore Flyer for the first time. It's going to be at night. Any recommendation on how to steady the camera? Gorillapod can? Or got a place to just leave the camera there for a long exposure? Part of some party lah... so not nice to bring a tripod to freak out my host.

    Or is it totally hopeless - i.e., the whole thing will shake too much for a good shot.

  2. #2
    Moderator rhino123's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    NA
    Posts
    5,247

    Default Re: Nighttime shots from Singapore Flyer

    Quote Originally Posted by UncleFai View Post
    Going on the Singapore Flyer for the first time. It's going to be at night. Any recommendation on how to steady the camera? Gorillapod can? Or got a place to just leave the camera there for a long exposure? Part of some party lah... so not nice to bring a tripod to freak out my host.

    Or is it totally hopeless - i.e., the whole thing will shake too much for a good shot.
    Gorillapod should be okay... anyway, I don't think tripod is allowed. Another way is to put your camera on the hand rail (use a wide angle lens) and shoot from there.
    I am not a photographer, just someone who happened to have a couple of cameras.
    My lousy shots

  3. #3

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by rhino123

    Gorillapod should be okay... anyway, I don't think tripod is allowed. Another way is to put your camera on the hand rail (use a wide angle lens) and shoot from there.
    Tripod is allowed=) I went with 3 of my other friends and we all brought and set up tripods in the cabin. Just try not to do exposure that are too long as the cabin is constantly moving. Shots below 5 seconds should be quite clear.

  4. #4

    Default Re: Nighttime shots from Singapore Flyer

    try not to go beyond 1 second.

  5. #5

    Default Re: Nighttime shots from Singapore Flyer

    is TS asking shooting the surrounding landscape from the cabin, or he is there to shoot a party...?? sorry a bit confused.
    LORD of THe NoObs
    FLICKR

  6. #6
    Senior Member UncleFai's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    4,429

    Default Re: Nighttime shots from Singapore Flyer

    Quote Originally Posted by akerue View Post
    is TS asking shooting the surrounding landscape from the cabin, or he is there to shoot a party...?? sorry a bit confused.
    Surrounding.

  7. #7

    Default Re: Nighttime shots from Singapore Flyer

    no need to bring a tripod as cabin will be moving.. unless you're lucky and there's a dinner party going on. then the cabins will continue to stop for about 15 seconds each time

  8. #8
    Senior Member UncleFai's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    4,429

    Default Re: Nighttime shots from Singapore Flyer

    The big challenge as it turned out was reflection on the glass windows of the lights inside the cabin.

    Yes, Gorillapod worked very well. Shot using my D7000 + Tokina 12-24mm f4 and the 10.5mm DX fisheye.

    Thanks to everyone for the advices given.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •