Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 29

Thread: Recommend Digital Camera

  1. #1

    Default Recommend Digital Camera

    Hi guys, Please recommend me a digital camera from the following choices:

    1) Canon S95
    2) Panasonic LX5
    3) Olympus XZ-1
    4) Samsung EX1
    5) Other similar range

    Purpose: Basically to take photos of my 2 year old kid who doesn't stay still and some indoor functions at home.

    Highest Priority: Image quality
    Lowest Priority: Size/weight of camera

    If I am not wrong the prices are almost similar averaging $650 so lets just leave this factor out first.

    Thank you!

  2. #2

    Default Re: Recommend Digital Camera

    1) Canon S95
    D700 - 24-70mm F2.8 ED - 105mm VR2 Micro - Samyang 14mm - 50mm 1.8D - Mb 10 - SB900 - SB400

  3. #3

    Default

    If u can wait, get the s100, replacement model for s95. Should be out soon.

  4. #4
    Moderator rhino123's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    NA
    Posts
    5,247

    Default Re: Recommend Digital Camera

    Get the S100, should be out in mid Nov (which is soon). Or looked into getting a mirrorless camera which is actually not too much of a difference in price too.
    I am not a photographer, just someone who happened to have a couple of cameras.
    My lousy shots

  5. #5

    Default Re: Recommend Digital Camera

    Quote Originally Posted by rhino123 View Post
    Get the S100, should be out in mid Nov (which is soon). Or looked into getting a mirrorless camera which is actually not too much of a difference in price too.
    1) Will S100 cost around $650 too ?
    2) Which mirrorless camera would you recommend around $650? The one I know is Olympus E-PL1 but its auto-focus too slow to catch my son

  6. #6
    Moderator rhino123's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    NA
    Posts
    5,247

    Default Re: Recommend Digital Camera

    Quote Originally Posted by sonofthesand View Post
    1) Will S100 cost around $650 too ?
    2) Which mirrorless camera would you recommend around $650? The one I know is Olympus E-PL1 but its auto-focus too slow to catch my son
    Amazon is selling this cam at US$529. Pricewise, it was not listed out yet in Singapore, but I am guessing it should be around 6xx to 7xx... it cannot be too expensive or it would be in direct competition with their entry level DSLR...
    I am not a photographer, just someone who happened to have a couple of cameras.
    My lousy shots

  7. #7

    Default Re: Recommend Digital Camera

    Quote Originally Posted by sonofthesand View Post
    1) Will S100 cost around $650 too ?
    2) Which mirrorless camera would you recommend around $650? The one I know is Olympus E-PL1 but its auto-focus too slow to catch my son
    Olympus EP3

  8. #8
    Senior Member ZerocoolAstra's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    rainy Singapore
    Posts
    9,522

    Default Re: Recommend Digital Camera

    Quote Originally Posted by kei1309 View Post
    Olympus EP3
    I was gonna say "Canon 1DX"

    highest priority is image quality, and lowest priority is size/weight...

    yup... check. 1DX fits the bill
    Exploring! :)

  9. #9

    Default Re: Recommend Digital Camera

    Quote Originally Posted by ZerocoolAstra View Post
    I was gonna say "Canon 1DX"

    highest priority is image quality, and lowest priority is size/weight...

    yup... check. 1DX fits the bill
    Err but its not in the similar category as the other 4
    and of course its way over $650

  10. #10
    Senior Member ZerocoolAstra's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    rainy Singapore
    Posts
    9,522

    Default Re: Recommend Digital Camera

    Quote Originally Posted by sonofthesand View Post
    Err but its not in the similar category as the other 4
    and of course its way over $650
    I know
    Was just pulling your leg
    hmmm if your kid runs about in a dimly-lit environment, I wouldn't be expecting miracles out of the 4 short-listed cameras.
    You need good light generally, and a dependable auto-focus system.

    Haven't had enough hands-on time with the 4 cameras to give an objective opinion. Sorry!
    Exploring! :)

  11. #11

    Default Re: Recommend Digital Camera

    Quote Originally Posted by ZerocoolAstra View Post
    I was gonna say "Canon 1DX"

    highest priority is image quality, and lowest priority is size/weight...

    yup... check. 1DX fits the bill
    actually i was gonna suggest another "3"...

    D3s

  12. #12
    Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Sembawang
    Posts
    215

    Default Re: Recommend Digital Camera

    Don't really want to distract you but if size/weight is your least priority, why don't you get some entry level DSLR.
    Pentax k-r should fit your range with kit lens(18-55 or 35mm prime).
    Later you may add some other zoom fast/bright lens.
    Image quality of this camera will be way better then the compacts.

    I have switched to LX5 in past from my DSLR (nikon system) cuz I found a bit difficult to carry it and I could not afford two cameras.
    After using it for few months, I started missing DSLR IQ and now back to DSLR
    Currently using Pentax k-r with tamron 17-50 2.8 lens.

    Quote Originally Posted by sonofthesand View Post
    Hi guys, Please recommend me a digital camera from the following choices:

    1) Canon S95
    2) Panasonic LX5
    3) Olympus XZ-1
    4) Samsung EX1
    5) Other similar range

    Purpose: Basically to take photos of my 2 year old kid who doesn't stay still and some indoor functions at home.

    Highest Priority: Image quality
    Lowest Priority: Size/weight of camera

    If I am not wrong the prices are almost similar averaging $650 so lets just leave this factor out first.

    Thank you!
    Last edited by iarshad; 11th November 2011 at 12:00 PM.

  13. #13

    Default Re: Recommend Digital Camera

    If size and weight doesn't matter a lot.. I would recommend dSLR. Try a used camera?

    How about a Canon 10D or 20D (~$200-300ish) with a Tamron 17-50mm (~$450 used) lens? It would be worth the slight price difference. Tremendous jump in image quality.
    If its too expensive you could go for a kit lens + 50mm F1.8, each about 100 used.
    Looking for Canon 100mm F2 USM :)

  14. #14

    Default Re: Recommend Digital Camera

    Quote Originally Posted by ombre View Post
    If size and weight doesn't matter a lot.. I would recommend dSLR. Try a used camera?

    How about a Canon 10D or 20D (~$200-300ish) with a Tamron 17-50mm (~$450 used) lens? It would be worth the slight price difference. Tremendous jump in imge quality.
    If its too expensive you could go for a kit lens + 50mm F1.8, each about 100 used.
    Sorry for not making myself clear. When I mentioned the priorities, I meant for those 4 cameras or any other similar ones in the same category. DSLR is a different league and will be too heavy and bulky for me and plus I have to stretch my budget further.

  15. #15

    Default Re: Recommend Digital Camera

    Quote Originally Posted by sonofthesand View Post
    Hi guys, Please recommend me a digital camera from the following choices:

    1) Canon S95
    2) Panasonic LX5
    3) Olympus XZ-1
    4) Samsung EX1
    5) Other similar range

    Purpose: Basically to take photos of my 2 year old kid who doesn't stay still and some indoor functions at home.


    Highest Priority: Image quality
    Lowest Priority: Size/weight of camera

    If I am not wrong the prices are almost similar averaging $650 so lets just leave this factor out first.

    Thank you!

    The listed cameras and even the DSLRs will all fail the criteria.
    None of them can focus fast enough indoors to capture shots of a little guy running around.


    Jokes Aside.


    My advice.
    1. Wait for the action to lull a bit. (he will end up somewhere or with something eventually)
    2. Use flash (preferably bounced)
    3. Anticipate the action (where he is headed to)
    4. Shoot, shoot and shoot some more (and throw away the bad ones)

    For ~$650,
    DSLR - Pentax Kr
    MILC - 2nd hand Panasonic G1; G2; GF1; GF2; (EP series before EP3 are a bit slow in AF)
    Others - the ones you listed can do too, maybe a bit lower hit rate, so the advice above will help.


    Gd Luck

  16. #16

    Default Re: Recommend Digital Camera

    Quote Originally Posted by pinholecam View Post
    The listed cameras and even the DSLRs will all fail the criteria.
    None of them can focus fast enough indoors to capture shots of a little guy running around.


    Jokes Aside.


    My advice.
    1. Wait for the action to lull a bit. (he will end up somewhere or with something eventually)
    2. Use flash (preferably bounced)
    3. Anticipate the action (where he is headed to)
    4. Shoot, shoot and shoot some more (and throw away the bad ones)

    For ~$650,
    DSLR - Pentax Kr
    MILC - 2nd hand Panasonic G1; G2; GF1; GF2; (EP series before EP3 are a bit slow in AF)
    Others - the ones you listed can do too, maybe a bit lower hit rate, so the advice above will help.


    Gd Luck
    This looks like a good offer for GF2
    "Panasonic Lumix GF2 with 14-42mm lens (free gifts: 8 GB SD card, & bag) is now on special offer at S$599 (incl. GST), while stock lasts. Only at T K Foto."

    The 14-42mm lens should be fine for my purpose right ?

  17. #17
    Senior Member ZerocoolAstra's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    rainy Singapore
    Posts
    9,522

    Default Re: Recommend Digital Camera

    Quote Originally Posted by sonofthesand View Post
    This looks like a good offer for GF2
    "Panasonic Lumix GF2 with 14-42mm lens (free gifts: 8 GB SD card, & bag) is now on special offer at S$599 (incl. GST), while stock lasts. Only at T K Foto."

    The 14-42mm lens should be fine for my purpose right ?
    Sounds like a good price.
    14-42 is a zoom lens that goes from slightly wide-angle to short telephoto. A versatile lens, if not outstanding in any aspect.
    Am worried that it will not meet your expectations as a capable low-light performer... You really need to try it out for yourself.
    Exploring! :)

  18. #18

    Default Re: Recommend Digital Camera

    Quote Originally Posted by ZerocoolAstra View Post
    Sounds like a good price.
    14-42 is a zoom lens that goes from slightly wide-angle to short telephoto. A versatile lens, if not outstanding in any aspect.
    Am worried that it will not meet your expectations as a capable low-light performer... You really need to try it out for yourself.
    I am not sure how dark do you mean when you say low-light performer.

    If I am taking photos for an event in my house, then I would turn on all my lights. My 3-room flat living hall lights consist of 2 chandelier with 5 energy saving bulbs each. So that should be enough light, right ?

    Maybe with some examples, I can explain what I require in a new camera.

    Please view these photos taken with my old PnS Canon PowerShot A85. These are some shots of my kid when he is still
    Since I cannot post links yet, so to view the photos, please copy and paste the URL in your browser. Apologies for the inconvenience.

    Example 1:
    The 1st one is taken with flash and the 2nd one without flash in the kitchen at night with florescent lamp.
    1) gallery.clubsnap.com/data/500/IMG_2511.JPG
    2) gallery.clubsnap.com/data/500/IMG_2513.JPG
    Basically, I wish to overcome the noise problem in Photo2

    Example 2:
    The 1st one is taken with flash and the 2nd one without flash in living room in the morning with natural light.
    3) gallery.clubsnap.com/data/500/IMG_2546.JPG
    4) gallery.clubsnap.com/data/500/IMG_25451.JPG
    Notice in Photo3, the photo looks sharp but the background becomes dark.
    In Photo4, photo looks better but noisy.

    Your feedback is much appreciated. Thanks!

  19. #19

    Default Re: Recommend Digital Camera

    Quote Originally Posted by sonofthesand View Post
    This looks like a good offer for GF2
    "Panasonic Lumix GF2 with 14-42mm lens (free gifts: 8 GB SD card, & bag) is now on special offer at S$599 (incl. GST), while stock lasts. Only at T K Foto."

    The 14-42mm lens should be fine for my purpose right ?
    Indoors you will have to use flash with the kit lens, but a kit lens is a good starting point.
    Price seems pretty good.

  20. #20

    Default Re: Recommend Digital Camera

    Quote Originally Posted by pinholecam View Post
    Indoors you will have to use flash with the kit lens, but a kit lens is a good starting point.
    Price seems pretty good.
    Do you mean using an external flash ?

    By the way, any comments on the examples of photos I posted in post #18 ?

    Thanks...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •