• Advertisement

• Reasons Why a Pro is Using a Mirrorless Camera for Personal and Paid Jobs

Bryan van der Beek, Chester Chen, Darren Soh, Edward Tian, and Kelvin Koh are professional photographers that used a DSLR for their leisure & paid jobs. They have since adopted a mirrorless camera for their jobs. That mirrorless camera is from Sony, Sony’s Full-frame α7 Series.

ClubSNAP had the opportunity to speak with them to find out exactly why they choose to use Sony’s Full-frame α7 Series for their work and personal photography. The questions varied from professional to professional so we wouldn’t bore you in the event their response was the same.

Bryan van der Beek

ClubSNAP: Do you feel that mirrorless camera systems offered today are crippled by the lack of good affordable lenses?

Bryan: I come from a photojournalism background and fast lenses was the way to go. Sony’s first lenses were a little slow at f4 and that left me feeling kind of handicapped even though you could make up the difference with a higher ISO which the α7RII and α7SII are more than capable of.

Third party manufacturers stepped up and introduced some quality native mount lenses that complement the stellar line-up of primes. The recent announcement of fast zooms means professionals can work with confidence.

ClubSNAP: You are a big guy and mirrorless cameras are small compared to that of the DSLR, surely it looks almost toy-like to your clients. Have your clients expressed any negativity towards the use of your choice of mirrorless camera and if they have what were their reasons, if any?

Bryan: Hmmm, I’ve not encountered negativity. Quite the contrary, they are curious and when they find out it is Sony’s Full-frame α7 Series mirrorless camera sporting 42.4-megapixels they get quite interested to know more.

ClubSNAP: Have you found yourself using the professional Sony Full-frame α7 Series mirrorless camera for more personal and family picture taking and why do you think the Sony has influenced this behaviour?

Bryan: I do use Sony’s α7RII for personal photo taking and do so with simplicity in mind. I throw on a Voigtlander 15mm f4.5 lens on the camera. I may even pack a backup like the small 28mm or 35mm for flexibility. I like to keep it simple sweet versus packing a lot of gear.

ClubSNAP: So, the old adage that bigger is better doesn’t seem to hold true. That said, do you feel the smaller package of Sony’s α7 Series mirrorless camera has come of age and taken centre stage?

Bryan: Everyone thought it would be impossible for a mirrorless full-frame but Sony proved naysayers wrong and having done it, put Sony in the spotlight. The smaller package appeals to anyone that has grown tired of the heavy and bulky DSLR. Offering similar image quality and better output has won over many. Personally, I’ve had very little issues with the α7 Series and am shooting around 90 percent of my work with them.

ClubSNAP: Professionals are always prepared with contingency and we’ve heard some professional state that the lack of dual memory card slots has put them off. Did the lack of dual card slots on Sony’s Full-frame α7 Series ever deterred you from adopting it for your work?

Bryan: The lack of dual cards did not put me off using the Sony Alpha 7 for my professional work. It is nice to have, but it’s not a deal breaker for me by a long shot.

ClubSNAP: Sony’s α7RII and α7SII touts excellent low light shooting capability. Is this a big deal for a professional photographer like yourself?

Bryan: For documentary work, the low light capabilities of the cameras is a godsend. The cameras become very versatile for shooting without strobes (flash). For much of the work I do, the last thing I need is to have to draw attention to myself with a flash or loud slapping or clicking sound of a DSLR shutter. This really helps me get the shots I need.
    This article was originally published in forum thread: Reasons Why a Pro is Using a Mirrorless Camera for Personal and Paid Jobs started by Editor View original post